1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on Facebook

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MN Writer, Oct 23, 2014.

1. MN Writer

So, for better or worse, I made the rather crazy decision to come out as a transwoman to all of my friends on Facebook today (a few hundred people). I am very happy to report that so many of them have responded with great kindness, love and acceptance. Even a few who I was certain would have an issue are being supportive and amazing, which just goes to show you that you can never know how someone will react.

I'm telling you all this because I'm hoping my experience will inspire others to be brave and to come out. Whether that's just to a friend, multiple friends, a relative, or everyone, I want you to know that the world is changing for the better for us TG people. I won't say you shouldn't be afraid at all (because there are crazy people out there) but if you can manage to overcome your initial fears about coming out, the reward will be amazing.

I can now girl out on my facebook (I spend entirely too much time there BTW) which is a huge thing for me. I want to be excited about the transition I'm embarking on and I want my friends to be a part of it too, and now I can do that. I can now change my name (and gender) on there to the right one and not be afraid of what people will say/think. I feel very excited and relieved about the whole thing, like a thousand pound weight has been lifted off my back. (!)

Now I just have to tell my parents, which I'm considering doing tonight after work. I'm done hiding. I'm over this closet already. I want to breathe the fresh air of being out in the world. will you join me?

2. lizardman

I came out as a lesbian on FB, by changing my "interested in" to "women", and nobody cared. I loved that nobody treated it like a big deal, and people still treat me the same. Now, coming out as bigender/genderfluid might be a bit harder.