1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School and gender stuff

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jaspertom, Oct 24, 2014.

1. jaspertom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I'm not out to many people, probably only a handful of people actually know. But anyway, at school, quite a lot of people read me as male, which is brilliant!

I'm not very popular, so quite a lot of them didn't know me a female in the first place. But teachers do and when the register is being called out, people usually look confused.

I've only got two years left of school life. Should I just come out or stat in until school's over, because I'm not too sure I could handle the taunting and stuff.
    :dry:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just said you can't handle it. I wasn't ready myself to even be ... err... out to myself. So weigh the risks and rewards. If being in the closet gets unbearable you will come out one way or the other.

Trust me I get it. I'm very much in the closet to most people who know me.

3. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine while in high school individually asked all his teachers to call him by his preferred name and they began to call him that instead. I think you should just talk to your teachers and ask about the name. Then you would not really have to come out.

4. swan32145

swan32145 Guest

About the teacher thing, the best solution would be to tell them so they call you by a male name. If your not ready for that, which is more than understandable, ask them to call you by a name that slightly more gender neutral, that way you don't have to come out, but you wont get confused looks. If they ask just tell them it's what your family called you when you were little or something. I doubt they'll press on the issue any further than that. If your teachers are mean just tell an administrator, the principle, or something and they'll either put you in a class with a different teacher or tell that teacher to be respectful or get fired. If they value their job they'll be nice.
    On another note, I stayed in the closet through out high school, and now that I'm done I regret it very much. I'm luckier than most in that not one person has been even a little trans phobic toward me though I've come out to well over a hundred people, but I think people have a tendency to imagine more hostility than there actually is, especially somebody in your position. That's perfectly natural, I did it to, but I'm just putting it out there. You're your own worst enemy sometimes. You also have two years left, so there's no rush and it will be over quickly should you choose not to come out. If you want to wait 'till your more masculine there's no problem with that. Do what makes you comfortable. You're already light years ahead of where I was at that age, so just keep on pushing and you'll come through just fine.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do your parents know?

If so, I'd definitely go ahead and ask your teachers to call you by a preferred name. If your classmates often read you as male, you're less likely to draw attention to yourself if your name matches their perceptions of you.

If not, I'd still consider talking with your teachers, honestly.