1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding For Long Periods of Time

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ArthurOK, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ArthurOK

ArthurOK Guest

I know that you shouldn't bind for more than 8-10, 12 max hours a day, but this event came up, and now I'll be potentially binding for 14 hours+. I'm curious if all of you binding-folk have any suggestions for binding methods (under 35$, please). I am a 34 large B or small C size, and most sports bras don't cut it for passing as male in a tshirt. I've seen reviews for those 8$ binders on Amazon that say they've worn them for days on end, but I'm not sure if that's healthy. Anybody have anything?

2. DoriaN

I don't bind, but I'm sure pushing a few hours is fine. Just take it off to sleep. I mean, to me the difference between 12/14 hours is negligable.

Speaking from opinion.

I suppose it also depends on how tight you bind and what type of bind method.

Overall if you feel okay with 12 hours, I don't see why 14 is bad.

3. itsAli

Make sure you cough hard throughout the day and when you take it off as you can get fluid build up in the lungs which could potentially cause pneumonia

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^^^^^^

See, this is one reason why you definitely don't want to bind overnight. It's very much dangerous. I've had pneumonia once already, it sucks. If you're in a situation where you feel like you need to bind overnight for some reason, swap your binder out for a sports bra and wear a loose t-shirt. You won't be as flat, but it's much less risky.

I use those cheap binders, and I have the same chest size. They get me convincingly flat. If you decide to give them a try, I think there's one US based seller selling them right now for around $14 with free shipping, otherwise, you'll be waiting at least a month to get it from China, if not longer. Just please, don't wear them for days on end. I've worn them day after day before, but always with at least a ten hour break over night in between.

5. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Never do bind.
    I think bra is much healthier and it makes ur breast looks good.

If you prefer wearing a bind, maybe 2 hours max only wear it when you date your girl.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

^ we do not bind to make our breast look "good". We bind because we want to appear as a male.

7. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed. Thats my perspective about bind.
    Though I'm a butch, I still wanna keep my breast look good...thats why i dont bind

#7 Pipihpipih, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  8. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Hey OP: When I went to a conference, I bound my chest using three sports bras back-to-back. I have a very flat chest for a bio girl, so this method was fairly effective, and I was binding about 12 hours a day (the conference stretched over about 2-2.5 days). Let me tell you, by the time the awards ceremony rolled around, I was seriously considering skipping going onstage - and going to the bathroom to relieve the agony in my chest instead. :help:

So yeah, it can hurt. But with a proper binder, it's definitely not too bad. I would say that you should make sure you have a top-notch one, and maybe ask your doctor if they believe that it's okay to bind for that long.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2014 at 04:59 PM ----------

Yes, yes, 1000x yes. One of my cis female friends jokingly asked if she could have my breasts…. I was like ":eusa_clap FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES, PLEASE TAKE THEM :eusa_clap"

9. stormborn

using a binder for over 14 hours is definitely not a good idea. i've made that mistake and it's still treating me bad. rib pain is awful.

try wearing two tight sports bras (like a few sizes down from your normal), one backwards over the other, and wearing a button down or a sweater or two over top. you really don't want to fuck up your ribs :/

10. Raatox

It's not unusual that I wear a binder for like 14 hours a day, but I have a quite small chest and use the underworks tri-top, but a size to large according to the ftm-site-measurement (I used the bio-guy measurement as I didn't find the ftm site at first). It's not very much tighter than a thight sportsbra, but flattens the chest more efficientely as it is constructed in another way. And that works for me at least, I guess.

11. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an unusual case. I'm very flat naturally (AA) and I bind pretty easily so I don't need a lot of pressure. I've gone all day with a binder, forgot I was even wearing it so fell asleep with it on and was none the worse for it. I find binders extremely comfortable.
    Basically what I'm getting at is, I don't use a lot of compression. Try to find the least amount of compression you can get away with, and do as was suggested above by coughing hard throughout the day. Find a larger sized binder and then sew it a little smaller if you need to. If you can go to the restroom in a stall a few times and take it off for a few minutes that might help too.
    I have a binder from Amazon from Whatwears. It is not something I would want to wear tightly for long periods of time. The fabric is unforgivingly stiff. The only other binder I have is the Extreme Gynecomastia binder from Underworks. It's only one layer of binding material so it doesn't compress as much which might be better for long periods of time. It's flexible and moves with your body and lets you breathe normally. It's more expensive of course, but worth it IMO. The only way I'd suggest the Chinese Amazon binders is if you don't make it too tight, enough to comfortably take a big breath in. So that might be an option for you. The nice thing I will say about it is it's very thin material so it's nice and cool and you don't get much in the way of seam lines, at least for the ones I got.