1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans women, I need your expert advice!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by gravechild, Nov 1, 2014.

1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a thread about female underwear and how to navigate having extra parts down there. The problem isn't size, but the discomfort due to lack of accommodation, and feeling squeezed/trapped/etc. down there. Aside from making it difficult to relax, it's also a constant reminder of something I'd rather not be reminded of so often.

What would you suggest? I've read elsewhere that it takes getting used to, but I'm also curious is HRT has any benefits? Lack of erections would be nice, but it doesn't do much regarding size otherwise, does it? Anyway, that's a maybe, and not a guarantee, so I'm not looking to start right now just for that issue alone.

One other thing: shaving. It gets tedious, but if I don't, hairs will show through, and that's also not flattering. Laser hair removal is too expensive and time consuming at the moment, but waxing is the next step down. Would this be safe for the more... err, sensitive areas? If not, I'm alright with the alternatives.

Anyway, thanks in advance! Appreciate you all! (*hug*)

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. KayJay

Waxing isn't really dangerous down there, it is just painful and the money adds up over time. Plus you have to let it grow a bit to get it waxed. I usually use hair removal creme down there and its not too bad. I think it isn't meant for privates but I do what I want.

Hormones shrink the testicles, the size of the "thing" itself didn't seem to decrease. Spontaneous erections went away and I don't get any in the morning anymore. Also gaffs are pretty awesome if you can get used to the feeling.

The last thing I would suggest is getting none-low cut panties. I know it seems a bit less feminine but I got 2 value packs, one of low cuts and one higher. The high cuts are way more comfortable because of how much extra room you get in the front. If I am wearing a gaff though then the low cuts are great.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

4. SockPuppet

You're lucky, Kelsey, I get the worst rash trying to use cream hair removal down there, like really, really bad. Doesn't exactly make you feel feminine or like you're passing when you're constantly scratching (or wanting to scratch) your crotch. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I haven't tried waxing yet, so I can't comment on that...thinking about doing my legs though do I can ignore them for a while.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that a lot say HRT can also lessen and soften your body hair, make it grow back finer and slower, so after you've been on them for a while, shaving may not be as big a deal. I'm not sure. If you're not on them, yet, then I confess that's not much of a help to you.

And on the underwear front, I like boyshorts (which some companies use interchangeably with hipsters and boycut and other names.) The name isn't doing anyone's dysphoria any good, I'll admit, but I find that when I don't want to be wearing a gaff (which let's face it, most of the time I don't), that these panties tend to keep everything in place, particularly when it's the type with the small bit of pantleg to them. Either way, you want something with a bit of width in the gusset area, just to keep things from falling out (embarrassing and uncomfortable!)

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! :slight_smile: There's a lot of helpful information in those threads, so be sure I'll come back to them later.

Oh, growing has never been an issue for me. For some reason, I tend to grow fast in the few parts I do! And yep - what I have are low cut, so that could explain a lot of what I'm experiencing.

Do you ever sleep in gaffs?

Nope, not on HRT. I'm assuming six month-ish before noticing changes to hair growth?

6. SockPuppet

Probably different for everyone, but I've only been on HRT 2 months, and changing hair growth patterns was the first physical thing I noticed, specifically my underarm hair growing back much finer.

7. Ruby Confused

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not trans but I have been around the hair removal block.
    1) shaving will make the hair appear thicker and darker when it grows out but if you don't mind having to shave every few days I don't recommend it).
    2) I wouldn't recommend hair removal creams for sensitive areas but legs, arms, lip, arms are fine (just read instructions carefully and remove as soon as it says that time is up)
    3) waxing hurts but is effective, after a while it will become less painful and you will note less hair growth just remember for more sensitive areas apply some cream afterwards.
    4) hair removal machines that 'pluck' the hair: ouch but some like it and prefer it (also very effective)
    5) long term is lazer so if shaving which is restively cost effective save the money you would have spent on other products for eventual lazer treatment.

8. MN Writer

tacking onto this thread a bit, how much is laser hair removal? I haven't researched it much but I suspect I'll have to get some in the future when I'm further along my transition.

How does it compare in cost to electrolysis?

9. KayJay

Try some non low cuts, it might work a bit better :grin: No I never sleep in gaffs, I actually don't use them much. Usually only when I am wearing yoga pants or leggings. I don't really feel like I need it when I wear jeans.

Electrolysis is more time consuming and expensive but it works on all hair types and afaik it is permanent where as laser is branded as permanent hair reduction. I'd personally recommend a combination of the two to remove hair. Prices vary greatly, it is possible to get deals and stuff so I'd encourage you to look around. I even mentioned I am trans to the lady when I was at my consultation and she gave me 50% off and still gives me 50% off because she probably knows I am a gold mine and wants me to keep coming back to her lol. I'm sure it is different for everyone but also be prepared for it to take a loooong time. I was told it would be about 6 appointments (6 months) for my face to be finished laser treatments and it took 12 or 13 and now I am still doing electrolysis on my face.

10. MN Writer

Thanks KelsC, that's very helpful. it seems like Electrolosis is cheaper per treatment than laser, but you have to go more often so it seems like sort of a wash between the two. Is that what you've found?

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Laser works best with dark hair...
    Electrolysis some say is more painful...
    some start with laser and clean up with electrolysis...

there are handheld laser devices available which might be an option if you really use them often...
    all accesoiries like protective googles are readily available...

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My two cents.

Laser hair removal for my face and neck for 12 treatments is 1200$. You may get cheaper but due to male body hair growth it takes more than the 6 treatments that female bodied clients require for permanent hair removal. Also the darker your hair and lighter your skin the better for laser. Otherwise go electrolysis.

As far as waxing down there? Never did it nor do I shave there. I don't tuck either but sometimes wear a gaff. Also I wear skirts and dresses that are loose there so no issues.

As far as hormones go most people doubt me but I'm not on hormones so I can't comment.

13. KayJay

Yes that's exactly what I've found. I space out my visits a bit to save money with the electrolysis but if you could afford to you could go as much as you want basically where as with laser you wait a month between appointments on your face and 6 weeks between appointments anywhere else on your body.