1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catching myself being sexist/misogynistic

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PeculiarChild, Nov 5, 2014.

1. PeculiarChild

Okay. This is not going to be a happy, jokey post. It's going to be an honest discussion of something that I myself admit to and am not proud of: misogyny by transguys.

I've often found myself separating myself from girls, as it does make sort of sense, but I sometimes do it and it seems sexist. And just because I'm trans doesn't really make me less of a asshole for saying "that's for girls", or "I'm not a girl", or even the things I don't say out loud.

Is it just me or does there seem to be an excessive amount of misogyny in the trans* guy population. As if we're letting our hatred of ourselves as women turn into hatred of all women. As if we're trying to separate ourselves so hard we become just as bad as the people who tortured us for acting "like a boy" by torturing others (and ourselves) for acting "like a girl". As if we want to be validated as a man and in doing so must invalidate women.

I'd like some honest comments about how to combat this in my own self and others' opinions on the subject.

2. DoriaN

I think it's a little subconscious in all trans people's minds, though it's intent is not malicious.

I kinda look at guys are icky or gross and stuff like that, because I've disassociated with it, but I don't actually think of men less or dislike them at all.

I imagine a few wires get crossed when switching borders but overall I don't think it's something negative, just repressed and allocated in the wrong emotional area.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree that I also find that sexist attitude that some transmen have to be annoying as well. One thing that helped me was to stop thinking about things "for men and for women". Anybody can do most activities, no matter what gender or sex that they are. Breaking down the gender stereotypes in my head helped me to eliminate a lot of those thought processes.

4. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not a trans guy, but as a 'not girl' I definitely used to have a major problem with that. I started out with 'no one wants to be a girl, you just have to' and then it became 'well, ok but i'm not that kind of girl' (i.e. likes being a girl, likes girl things).

So, for DMAB people who 'wanted to be girls' a lot of me was 'but you're a guy, why would you want to be a girl!?' So not ok, and I'm really not proud of it.

5. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I can relate. Sometimes I find myself saying little things like "oh GIRLS *rolls eyes*" and "Man up!" It's not like I'm truly misogynistic - I just want to disassociate myself from femaleness. :tears:

Also yeah, I've caught myself thinking "OHMYGOD YOU HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH HEIGHT, A FLAT CHEST AND CERTAIN, AHEM, PARTS - WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WOULD YOU WANT TO BECOME A GIRL?!?!?!?! :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:"

I now know that that's completely the wrong attitude to have, and I definitely get MTF women's struggles. :grin:

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Before I came to terms with the fact that I like girls, I used to hate them with a passion. If there's something you hate about yourself, you tend to apply it to other people, I guess it's just a coping mechanism xxx

7. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess some of it is natural, but a lot of it definitely does end up downright sexist/misogynistic/transmisogynistic..

I think it helps to remember it's not 'wanting to be', it's 'is'. Which is pretty validating really, because otherwise you just 'want to be a guy', rather than 'are a guy', and it makes a lot more sense of why they're happy to give those things up.

Now if only we could body swap..

8. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

YEAH. I like my face and all, but hell, DO I wish I were 6 feet tall, broad-shouldered and baritone-voiced.

9. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Anything but 4"11 tall would do for me.. grrrrrrr

/off topic

10. AlexTheGrey

I've seen women who play out misogyny in their lives. There's just an excessive amount of it everywhere. I don't think trans* guys are any more susceptible than the population at large, or at least no worse than cis guys.

Well, you've become aware of it in yourself, which is the first step. Beyond that, it is kinda different for everyone. But in the end, it is a bit about recognizing when you do it, apologizing when it does happen, correcting yourself, and moving on. Much like any other behavior you want to change. It may also help to get to the root of why it happens, both when you do it, and when it happens in society at large. Some of this stuff is learned roles and stereotypes, and so looking inwards may not find you the answer if it is socially learned behavior.

11. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Oh whoops I'm ~5'3" :grin:

---------- Post added 5th Nov 2014 at 02:26 PM ----------

Actually, I feel like trans* guys are simultaneously less likely AND more likely to be misogynistic. We're more sensitive to gender stereotypes, and probably more open-minded than most - seeing as we qualify as an "oppressed minority". And yet, as a group, we've got a collective chip on our shoulders: we want to be perceived as UNQUESTIONABLY MALE. Sometimes, that seems to involve misogyny. I do my best to avoid it, and I'm definitely a feminist.... but sometimes I slip up.

I also relate better to dudes. Many of my childhood friends were guys. I don't really "get" girls, despite physically being one ( :tears: ). Which may be why I stereotype a tiny bit.

(Also, I have always disliked words like "she", "female", and "woman"/"women". I thought it was 'cuz of OCD, but now I'm pretty sure it's 'cuz of gender dysphoria. Maybe that could be taken as misogyny?)

#11 lymanclark, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  12. PeculiarChild

I wasn't saying there's more than the general population, but rather more than there should be.

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a bit guilty of this. When people insist I'm a girl, I start to get really hateful and say things like, "I'm not a fucking girl!" in a way that makes it seem as if it's wrong to be a girl, when it's not. It's just wrong for me, because I'm not a girl.

I feel as if it's similar with some straight people, actually, and denying vehemently that they're gay. It's not that they hate gay people or feel as if being gay is wrong - it's just that, being called gay - it invalidates their identity, and while many straight people do, in fact, invalidate LGBT+ people's identities, straight people are people too.

But that's teetering off to another discussion.

What I'm saying is, things you think and feel may come off as misogynistic not because you hate women, but because you hate the thought of being a woman.

14. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

^ what he said, basically.

15. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  16. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree, but I think at some level, it just becomes misogyny if we allow it to go unchecked, especially as we try to prove our manliness to other guys.

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely agree with that as well. I feel as this "manliness" shit has gone way too far, although, I may be biased, as I consider myself a pretty feminine guy myself.

It's just really awful to hear people say "but you don't act like a man!" - and it applies to masculine/butch trans women and even cisgender people as well. It seems as if most people here (locally, I mean, not on EC) don't know how to differentiate gender expression and gender identity, if you know what I mean?

#17 Nychthemeron, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  18. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh god yeah it kinda has..

Well, in most people's head gender expression IS gender identity :/

19. PeculiarChild

Not only do I catch myself seeming misogynistic to other people, sometimes I catch myself actually thinking less of women. Which is bloody terrifying.

20. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    What's terrifying is the men who can do that, and not think 'woah am i really this kind of person?'