1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lymanclark, Nov 5, 2014.

1. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Today, for the first time, I experienced vocal dysphoria. I was singing to myself, proud of my tenor voice, when my mom stopped me, said that I sounded horrible, was singing in the wrong octave, should sing higher, and would injure my throat if I didn't.

Now I'm kind of depressed. I kinda don't want to sing - or speak - forever. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears: :tears:

2. iiimee

Oh god, that sucks! My mom loves to hear me sing, and I'm a low alto myself. For someone with a "Brittish accent", I know what it feels like. It is really hard to recover from voice dysphoria, but I reccomend saying phrases you really like in your voice. Don't quote from somebody and try to sound like them, because it only makes you more depressed when you can't. I reccomend saying self-motivating or fun things.
    The reason I suffer from this is because people constantly remind me of my voice, and to me it sounds too feminine. Still, we all have our own struggles right? SInging is a good way to recover, so sing whenever she's not around. Sing your favorite songs, or try to perfect whatever song she interrupted. Giving singing advice is one thing, but nobody should be told they sound ugly.

3. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Hah, she thinks I'm a beautiful singer.... as a SOPRANO. I seriously want to cry right now. I haven't spoken a word for the last ~20 minutes.

4. iiimee

Well, alot of people of pretty bias, thinking Soprano's sound "better" just because they're more commonly seen on TV. I can sing better then alot of those auto-tuned punks, and I'm alto. You need to stop worrying about your voice, because from what you said, I'm guessing you know more about music then her. Voices are unique, so even if you sing horribly, sing like there's no tommarow! Granted, I imagine you sing well since you seem to care about singing, but talent doesn't matter when it comes to passion! Say something wrote now. Repeat after me "I like wearing polka dot pants." (*hug*)

5. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I opened my mouth, but gave up. I think I'm just gonna stay mute for a few hours. And maybe write. And possibly cry.

She knows a lot about Indian music, not Western - the latter is MY specialty. And I can definitely sing in the tenor range - it's a little gravelly, but I'm most comfortable there. My speaking voice is high - that's why she thinks I'm a soprano.

6. iiimee

Don't push yourself. You are yourself and don't let her pressure you to change. Relax love :wink:

7. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Thanks. I did talk a tiny bit, just softly. I'm still angry and depressed. They don't believe I'm trans, see....

8. iiimee

Oh, well that's a slightly different topic. Still, we can talk about it if you want. My mom's very supportive, so I'm happy, but I know alot of parents are... less enthusiastic.

9. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Thanks. They think that I am a female, because when I was little I would play with dolls, watch Disney Princess movies, wear dresses/want more dresses, and think bras were the cat's whiskers.

I sure as hell don't feel like a girl right now, and I haven't for a very long time. I unquestionably have dysphoria, I light up when my friends address me as male, and everyone ELSE I've told has long moved past the "[he's] just going through a phase" idea. Maybe I used to identify as a girl, maybe I used to be girly, but not anymore. I'm 18 years old. I'm a man.

And my parents just don't believe me.

I'm SICK of it. I want a binder, I want to be called by my male name, I want my brother to understand that he has an awesome older BROTHER, not an awesome older sister. I want to start T. I want top surgery, eventually.

And I can get those things on my own, sure. I just frikkin wish that my own parents would BELIEVE me.

10. DoriaN

I've been having it bad lately myself, can't even begin to describe.

Coupled with I have to use a different voice for my family, it's making it really hard.

Oh well, not much I can do but keep at it.