1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psychological issues with ftm clothing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Nov 6, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

I don't know what the heck is going on with me and clothes. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be eternally grateful.

So it seems like in my journey to discovering how I want to look as a man, I'm now starting to get dysphoric about men's clothing. Wtf?

It usually goes something like this. I'm out and about and I see some cis guys around my age. I notice their body shape, their physical features and how they're dressed and I'm envious. But then when I buy similar clothes and try them on, they don't feel right. Ok, they don't fit me as well as they would a cis guy but that's not really the issue. It's more psychological. It's like dressing smart or nicely isn't who I am. I can't bear to care about the way I dress so I choose not to and go around wearing worn out, mismatched clothing. This bothers me because usually, people tell me that they didn't care how they looked as their birth gender but have found they do since transitioning. With me, it's the opposite way round. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with me being autistic and taking after my father who I suspect also has autism. He doesn't care how he looks or dresses. Neither do I. He hardly has any clothes. Neither do I. All of his clothes are years old and completely worn out but he won't buy any new ones. I'm starting to go down a similar route. Help? :icon_sad:

2. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Forget what most people say. Do what makes YOU comfortable. Sometimes I'm a dandy, and sometimes I'll wear the rattiest old T-shirt and jeans that haven't been washed in a week.

*cough* actually I dress in the latter fashion MOST of the time....

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I mean, here's the thing. I don't give a shit about what's "in" or whatever fucking designer made the clothes. I wear 12 dollar t-shirts from Target. I mean, they hold up well, I like them, they work for me. I'd like to have a nice sports coat or a three piece suit but I clean up if I can.

But that's the thing, you've gotta take care of yourself. Yeah, you can wear clothes from a thrift shop. Wear a 10 dollar t-shirt. But don't be wearing something with stains or obvious tears. Least not in public. I'll wear shit like that if I'm at home, working, and I know I don't have any video meetings or don't need to run errands.

You know, you don't need to put a lot of effort. Clip your nails, keep your hair trimmed how you like, wash up, and all that. Just as long as you can throw something on and go out.

My haircuts cost 15 bucks at most, and I go to a barbershop. It's nothing elaborate, just a trim, but I'll throw a little pomeade in there to slick it down and shape it if I get cowlicks.

Before transition, I pretty much wore whatever I got my hands on without giving a shit about how I looked. I mean, i didn't really take care of myself either. I wore shoes with holes in them, I didn't really brush my teeth, and if I bothered to wash my hair, I'd just let it air dry (I can just towel and airdry now but that's because of how short it is).

You have your own unique look but bare minimum, people are going to expect you to take care of yourself.

I mean, here's what I do when I'm getting dressed to go out. After I've got a binder on, I'll throw on a t-shirt and an open shirt to throw over it. It's an easy way for blend the curves and look like I gave a shit.

4. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Oooooo the T-shirt and open button-down look! I've been dying to try it; that and the turtleneck/button down combo ('cept I don't have a turtleneck :frowning2: ). Maybe I will soon, now that it's getting colder :slight_smile:

5. Ryu

Ryu

I'm a biological and mental male (for the moment), why not throw in my limited fashion sense if you can call it that. I usually wear some combat trousers and some form of short sleeve t-shirt. If I'm just going down to the shops to get chocolate or milk or icecream, I'll throw on a jumper... I like my jumpers... If I'm going somewhere like a dinner party, going to town to get games, music etc. and anywhere else that requires actual mental effort to get to I'll wear a pair of my faviroute 501's, my newest shirt and a red and plack chequered shirt unbuttoned over the top.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It's my go-to look. I definitely feel like a college student and starving artist in it, lol. But cheap to throw together. I got a bunch of button downs from MTF friends who were clearing out their wardrobe.

7. anonym

anonym Guest

I don't even take care of myself anymore. I suppose I feel like what's the point? If I make an effort to give a shit about how I look or at least pretend that I do, it just feels wrong. :confused: