1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being harassad by photos..

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Litveninko, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Litveninko

I don't know is it just me or most of the people are taken photos of me. I look like genderQueer to them, thought I'm not inttending too. It's just like i'm a rare phenomenan..
    Once I was sitting in my class and theres that girl who is posing the camera on and gave flash light. I know it was of me because I was the only person in that place. And many others..
    And I can't look anywhere but notice people's eyes on me..
    It kinda makes me happy and sad in the same time, happy cause they at least see my male side. But sad cause I want people to say he and him without A thought.
    And I know that Everyone gets scared when I talk cause they expect from someone with a veil to have a high voice..
    I only have friends because of mutual friends.. Even friends stare at me and say : you freak us.
    I can't wake up without getting worried that I'm going to college and being harassad.. Or anywhere else in streets.
    I also started to hate to pray cause it makes me more sadder that my prayers weren't answered. And I just look up at the sky with watery eyes and saying : why me? And what I have done..
    I feel its not okay for me to be happy thought I can be ocassionally..
    I just wish I had different parents, family, society, life.

2. Chriswe

You know, life is unfair, it really is. I've never seen anyone take photos of me, but when I walk past people, I can see that they are very confused about my gender.

I don't know anything about LGBTQ+ in Egypt, but do you have a support group for transgender people anywhere close to where you live? If you do, I suggest making some new friends there. If you don't, you can always try to find some transgender friends to talk to over the internet.

Good luck, and remember: Never stop loving yourself, because you are beautiful.

3. MN Writer

Oh my, I can only imagine what it must be like in Egypt. I commend you on your bravery and hope that you do not give up. You may not realize it, but by being yourself and being willing to be public in the way that you are, may just give other transgender people in your vicinity courage to be themselves too.

It is never easy to be one of the first in any movement, but if you can find the courage to love yourself despite what anyone else might think, I believe you could have a very profound effect. Please be safe, and please try to smile, because I know that you are handsome and wonderful. There is much love and admiration here for you

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not that familiar with the situation in Egypt either, but what would happen if you were to say get your hair cut short, and dress as a typical guy, carry yourself as a guy and go out? It sounds as if you already have a voice that is generally interpreted as male... I'm certain people don't just strip off other's clothes and point and say you don't have boy parts...

5. MN Writer

I could be wrong (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but I think part of the issue is that he is still wearing a veil over his face and/or head that women are customarily expected to wear, which is why they are surprised by his deeper voice. If he stops wearing the veil altogether there might be some harsh consequences from family and friends because that can be seen as a very direct social statement and an act of rebellion.

Again, this is all coming from a limited American view of Egyptian culture, so I could be way off the mark. This article is a bit dated (from last year) but it delves into the social aspects of wearing or not wearing the veil
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/sheerafrenkel/more-and-more-egyptian-women-are-casting-aside-their-veils

6. Litveninko

I already dress as a guy and have a short hair and so on, what confuses them is that i wear a veil on my head that muslims " girls " wear , so according to my family I have to wear it. that what confuses them the most.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 11:30 PM ----------

yess , you are totally right . and i wear it on my head..

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm... Tough one... Sounds like you've gotta get your family to understand that you're not a girl. Sounds like society already identifies you as a guy, and is looking strangely at the guy wearing the girl's veil...

8. Litveninko

that well being said. I already came out to my family but they mourned about it and said I need to see a therapist and bla bla. They even said I can control my voice and I made it like that.