1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical Trans 'Clues'?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DoriaN, Nov 6, 2014.

1. DoriaN

I know it can be superficial, but are there any somewhat consistent links in relation to someone's body and possible Trans status?

I remember seeing something a long time ago that said if the elbows are shaped in a specific way it the candidate likely possess' transgender traits.

Thoughts?

2. PeculiarChild

Digit ratios between your ring and pointer fingers. (simplified) The more testosterone you were exposed to as a fetus, which can contribute to sexual/gender identities later in life, the longer your ring finger is in relation to your index finger. They've got bell curves of ratios and whatnot.

Digit ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Whoaaaaa WHAT elbow thing?!

I'm FAAB and identify as male. Physically, apart from my height, I'm quite androgynous. My digit ratio is perfect FTM, too.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, there's a few personal things I can't tell the board. But never heard of the elbow thing, that just seems weird. But I've heard of the digit thing (ring is bigger than my index).

5. PeculiarChild

There's this thing where if you hold your arms and palms flat against your body whilst standing, and then try to make it so the backs of your hands are against your sides, the results have "female" and "male" elbows. Male-identified people, including myself (I tried it), have elbows that can stay flat against their sides. Female-identified people's elbows and arms flail out.

Female elbows?

6. DoriaN

It's how the elbows are angled. Like, I guess if someone has 'straighter' arms it's more masculine, but curved or slightly angled arms are feminine.
    The theory was that the arms are shaped like that to better hold/cradle a baby, something important in motherhood.

My elbows are double jointed since birth, and they angle out.

7. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Yeah that's masculine. I asked some of my cis female friends what their ratios were, and their index fingers were waaaay longer.

Here's a list of my physically androgynous/masculine traits:

- My voice has always been "funny" compared to my female friends' voices. Partially because a very faint Indian accent mixed with a distinct North Carolina twang, with a touch of Pennsylvania thrown in, is weird as hell; but mostly because it was so much DEEPER. I used to dislike that, because I felt it made me even weirder that I already felt - but I grew to love it.
    - Speaking of voice: when I speak, especially in my lower register, a bump in my throat bobs up and down; my mom once commented on how prominent my throat is. I think this may actually be a little Adam's apple (or am I being optimistic here? Does every FAAB person have this?)
    - Broader shoulders than chest/waist/hips. They stick out and make it hard to find shirts that fit (not that I mind. I love the feeling of a shirt being baggy everywhere, yet tight in the shoulders. I feel so manly )
    - Veeeeery small breasts at 18. I don't even wear cup bras, I wear small t-shirt/sports bras (they fit my chest perfectly, but I struggle to get them over my shoulders ). My breasts are somewhere between AA and A.
    - Narrow hips. My hips are wider than my chest, but still narrower than my shoulders.
    - Thick, bushy eyebrows/tendency to grow a little hair between them. Oh, and a mustache. A slight but noticeable, and (much to my mother's chagrin) very fast-growing mustache.
    - I take after my dad in appearance. Roman nose, square jaw.
    - Ahem, a high.... pretty dang high.... sex drive. Which is awkward 'cuz I'm a prude.... but yeah. I've never kissed anyone, let alone gone on a date.... but trust me, the drive is THERE.
    - Tendency to gain muscle very fast, but not gain fat (I've hovered just at the edge of 100 pounds for a couple of years now, but within days of doing light weightlifting exercises, I had developed small but noticeable biceps)
    - FTM/masculinized finger ratio.

#7 lymanclark, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
  8. DoriaN

Something I found interesting.

What your finger length tells about you

According to that, I'm either a Homosexual Woman, Heterosexual woman, or heterosexual man.
    So that means the furthest I am from is Homosexual man, which to me makes sense since that is the least likely thing I identify as.

To me it kinda feel's like the Graph goes like this.

<-Gay Female - Straight Female - Straight Male - Gay Male->

SCIENCE OF GAYDAR - Finger Length, Fingerprint & Sexual Orientation!

The part that interested me was "From these findings, it might be tempting to conclude that lesbians are universally masculinized and gay men are somehow feminized—the classic “inversion model” of homosexuality advanced by Freud. But the picture is more complicated than that. There is also evidence—some more silly-sounding than serious—that homosexuals may be simultaneously more feminine and more masculine, respectively. The stereotypes—that lesbians tend to commit to relationships early and have little interest in casual sex; that gay men have more sexual partners than their counterparts—turn out to be true. "

9. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Whaaaaa? :eusa_doh::confused: I'm so confused right now…. I cannot picture that. Are your palms against your body, so your elbows face outward? Where do you place your arms - flat against your front, or at your sides?

10. PeculiarChild

Elbows, arms, and palms at your sides, and then you see if your elbows/arms flip when you flip your hand. If they do, female. If they don't, male. Look at the link if you're confused; I thought about it for a while before figuring it out.

11. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I figured it out, thanks :grin: I-I-I-I….

I'M MAAAAAALE :roflmao:

12. DoriaN

Uhm, my elbows kinda stick out naturally at like a 45 degree angle.

I can make my elbow face my body or face 90 degrees outward, but at rest I seem to sit at 45.

That's not the elbow thing I was talking about though.

13. PeculiarChild

14. DoriaN

OH WAIT I MISSINTERPRETTED!

I have hella female arms.

This is what I was talking about afterall.

My arms go out like...

5 inches.

15. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

16. PeculiarChild

I wondered what a girl's arms would look like and if I was interpreting it right--now I know I have!!

---------- Post added 6th Nov 2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

17. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

18. PeculiarChild

My arms twitched, and I wasn't sure if it was a "female" response or a nerve damage response. 5 inches is all I needed to understand.

19. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Ohhhh I can kinda picture it now!! (!)

20. DoriaN

I've tried this 3 different ways since idk how to interpret it, but each method makes my elbows shift in some form.

If my elbows face forward I cannot touch my legs with my hand, I can only reach my leg with my fingers.

If my palm is facing forward I cannot get my elbow to face my body, if I try my elbow starts to face forward about 75 degrees, and my neutral elbow position is 45 degees between facing forward or at my side.

My elbows contour to my waist shape, like a puzzle piece. If I measure from my wrist to my hip it's about 4 inches, but again since it's contouring to my waist which is thinner than my hips/chest then the angle of my arms could be greater.