1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birthday troubles...already.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RalphHenry, Nov 9, 2014.

1. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

So, today is my birthday and I got up really early. My parents happened to be up too, so I decided to open some presents. I was sooooo super anxious (and rightfully so) because I'm not out and I was worried about receiving girl clothes. It was already bad enough receiving hot pink cards from various relatives displaying "niece, daughter, granddaughter".

The first couple of gifts were fine. They weren't even clothes and they were things that I asked for. The first gift I opened from my parents were men's shoes that I said I liked when we went shopping. I was overjoyed! Then my mom handed me another present and I knew it was clothes because of the box shape and weight. The butterflies in my stomach started going crazy. I opened the box and there, staring back at me, were the girliest pants on the planet. The were polka dot, corduroy, skinny jeans. They could tell I didn't like them.

I knew I made my dad feel like an ass because he picked them out and thought I'd love them. He started being a little passive aggressive because his feeling were hurt, which was understandable. My mom tried to hand me another present to lighten the mood, but I said I didn't want to open anymore. I sat there for a little bit in silence, feeling completely ungrateful and selfish.

I wanted to just burst into tears and tell him it wasn't his fault. He didn't know; he couldn't have. I'm so embarrassed. I think they think I'm being ungrateful because my mother just stared at me and said "You're hard to please". That couldn't be farther from the truth. She would understand if someone handed her a men's suit or if someone gave my dad a skirt and heels for a gift.

It is way too early in the morning for this. I went to the bathroom and cried because of how embarrassed I was. This is what I have been dreading for the past month. I knew something like this would happen and I made it really clear not to get me clothes unless I asked for something. I don't want to sound rude, but it is so hard to keep doing this. I asked my mom to go pant shopping yesterday and I was going to suggest to her that we look in the boy's section. I just don't know how it would go. Would it be insensitive to come out today?:help:

2. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Would it be insensitive to come out today?

no, it would let your parents understand why you didn't like the gift and might make your dad feel less like an ass because it wasn't his fault he didn't know and now he could get you something you might actually like.

3. SockPuppet

(*hug*)

That's all I got for this. :frowning2:

4. AsheTheHuman

Certainly not. I think it would make all parties here feel better about this morning. Perhaps use the analogy you used here, too if the point doesn't come across.

5. ouraborus

ouraborus Guest

Its ur choice,if u wanna come out today,do. :slight_smile: but all I can think about is that pplka pant :grin: hehehehhe it's killing me lol sorry I am not being rude but it reminds me of a gift my uncle gave me,a women's perfume lol Anyway Happy Birthday,hope things get well soon.Take care.

6. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Awwwww man, that must suck so much :tears: My parents got me a necklace and earrings for my last birthday, and I was like "oh SHIT". But I still occasionally wear the necklace - it's pretty :grin:

How tolerant are your parents? Are they okay with transliness? If so, then I say come out! It can't hurt :grin:

....unless they're transphobic/homophobic. Then I'd say just suck it up and wear the pants
    :frowning2: Guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do....

7. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

Thank you all for your answers. I feel so much better. I'm about to go out shopping with my mom and I'm going to try to ask to look in the men's section. If any questions arise, I think I'm going to take the opportunity to come out.

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck! I'm sorry this happened to you.

9. Acm

Acm Guest

Good luck. I'm sorry that happened, I've had stuff like this happen too, I always feel bad about it

10. DoriaN

Good luck!!! <3

11. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Man, I definitely know the feeling. A little while back my mom had gotten home from a long trip and brought me home a present. A very feminine top. Yeah I had a pretty hard time looking pleased with that one, too. I think she understands now, though.

Hope all goes/went well for ya man!

12. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    oh wow, (*hug*) this feels almost like my tenth birthday, but ill save that story for another time. u need all the hugs and mens clothes u can get man.