1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy Tuesday

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tai, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I go to my first therapy session on Tuesday. I'm a bit nervous. I know it will take quite a few sessions to figure myself out, but I know I'll be very impatient to figure everything right away. I'm trying to find my gender identity. For a while I've been thinking trans male, but these sessions are the confirmation so that I know for sure, and so my parents will know.

What should I expect, and is there anything I should remember to say or do for my first (or any of them) session?

2. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Just be honest. Therapy is meant to help, there is no guideline to follow. Taking the time to figure yourself out will be worth it in the long run, rather than trying to rush through sessions and still feeling uncertain, even if slightly.

Just expect a therapist to inquire about what concerns you've had, asking about trans-related things, how long you've felt this way, if you wish to live as and be perceived as male, etc. All I can advise is to be yourself and say how you feel.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, being honest is the best thing that you can do. It can be scary, but they are there to help you better understand yourself, and they cannot do that if you are not being honest. My guess is that the first session will be an intake session. This allows the therapist to get to know you better. So there will be a lot of questions about your life and how you feel about things.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, guys. Should I tell her additional stuff she doesn't ask for, or do the "only speak when spoken to" thing?

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

If you think or feel it's necessary to tell or if you want to, it's their job to listen. Just say, "(If you don't mind,) there's something else I want to talk about..." and go from there.

6. stormborn

if there is anything in specific that you want to talk about, don't be shy about bringing it up! that's what the therapist is there for. i find that i get a lot more out of therapy when i bring something up and go into detail, instead of the therapist asking me questions and me giving the base responses, etc.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, and thanks!

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As others have mentioned, try to be as honest and open as you can. Often times, therapists will ask you open ended and guiding questions, that will give you an opportunity just to talk. If you hit a point where you start feeling uncomfortable, it is okay to stop. Usually though, therapists/counsellors are pretty good at guiding one through the session, and making one feel comfortable. Hope the session will go well for you. :slight_smile:

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, Mirko!