1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I hate being called beautiful?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TrueHeartZ, Nov 9, 2014.

1. TrueHeartZ

Every time someone says how beautiful I am it makes me want to slam my head into a wall. I try to do things to make myself more feminine to try and hide the fact I feel male. I know that probably has something to do with it, but I feel like I get to angry about. Whenever my mom or someone says I look beautiful I will fake a smile but really I am so angry i feel like screaming. I great my teeth and try to feel good about what they have said. I don't know why but when someone says I'm beautiful it feels like an insult. Like they should not be saying that to me. Why do I feel this way?

2. DoriaN

Probably the same reason I disliked being called handsome.

3. Chriswe

On my male days I feel exactly like that! My friends used to call me cute and it got me so mad, but they just saw cute as a good thing.
    The other day my mom said "Wow, you look like a model today." and I wanted to slap someone in the face, really hard, with a chair...

I think it's just the thing that guys usually don't like being called beautiful or cute.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This used to really piss me off when I was younger. "Beautiful" and "pretty", especially when the "girl" bit would be added to it. :/ Sometimes, it still ticks me off, but my reaction has lessened.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't like being called beautiful either :/ I dunno. It's a very gender specific word, so that's probably why. Like when people tell me I have to have something that's (insert random colour) because blue is a guys colour :/

6. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate the word pretty, yet I aspire to be a "beautiful" man. However when the adjective is used in a feminine context I start to detest it.
    Handsome, for me, would be great.

My definition of a beautiful man would definitely include Benedict Cumberbatch and his characters.

7. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree :wink: haha

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hated it with a fiery passion. What's worse is that in french, the adjectives are gendered. So, beautiful was ''beau/belle''. The latter was used with me and I couldn't stand by and say nothing. I was raging and telling the person who said it to NEVER use that word with me. People made fun of me for it, too.

9. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Dude. I HATE it too. People would always comment on how "pretty" I am - like a "porcelain doll" or a "Disney Princess", since I'm quite petite. It REALLY GETS TO ME.

If people called me a "pretty boy", I guess I'd be okay with that. I strongly prefer "handsome" (*snerk* yeah like that's happenin')

10. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    god! i hate how when i get all dressed up then my mom says "your such a handsome young man" god its annoying af

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So many feels in this thread...

(*hug*)

12. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    lol of corse! most of us here r trans

13. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

You should just tell them this, then!

"Actually, gendered colors only began appearing in the early twentieth century - before that, babies wore white gowns, regardless of sex. In about the '20s, however, people began to say that pink - a strong, vivid hue - was more suitable for baby boys, while demure, delicate blue is perfect for little girls. The switch only took place during the '50s."

14. TrueHeartZ

I know how that is. My mom always makes me dress up in the clothes she wants me to ware and says I'm such a gorgeous girl. It drives me crazy.

15. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I would cry sweet tears of joy if my mom ever said that. Can we switch, please?!

16. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It will be a glorious day when my friends or parents call me beautiful, cute or sweet instead of just handsome, good-looking or sexy!

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I know that feeling, I get it every time someone calls me a handsome young man. I always have, but until I realized I was trans I didn't know why.

18. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe because you don't identify yourself as a woman and when someone says that you're beautiful it means that they believe you are a female? Many cis people feel uncomfortable when it happens. Does that make sense to you?

19. willycubed28

It is perfectly fine to feel that way. I love being called beautiful, and I am a male, but I identify more as a female internally.

20. MN Writer

Took the words right out of my mouth. I've always felt awkward when people called me handsome, like it didn't quite fit. I don't personally think of myself as handsome, mainly because I wish I looked female instead of male. I think I'd swoon if someone called me beautiful or pretty, but since I'm still mostly presenting as male to the public, I don't see that happening too soon.

I would suggest you stop doing those feminizing things that are probably eliciting these beautiful comments if it bothers you as much as it seems. You might find it refreshing to look more "boyish"

just a thought