1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How d you handle dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by love dont judge, Nov 10, 2014.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately, its been increasingly difficult for me to control my dysphoria and keep my feelings to myelf away from my parents. Thinking of ways to control it gave me the idea for this thread. We can learn a bit about each other, and figure out ways to help ourselves.
    So...... as the title says: How do you handle your dysphoria?
    I usually will meditate for long time if i have the time to sitbdown for an extended amount of time.

2. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I don't know how to handle it, honestly. Transitioning (socially, medically) helped some, but I still experience it every now and then. My coping mechanisms and how I handle the remaining dysphoria aren't healthy--I mainly absorb myself in videogames or other distractions, dissociating from my body and what's going on around me, or I might turn to self-harm, or wallowing in depression. Dysphoria is different for everyone and people cope with it differently than others. But it just sucks. A lot.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the trans ladies and MAAB non-binary folk that get bottom dysphoria:
    How to Tuck and Tape: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

It's one of the articles I've found on tucking.

Here's a more general term for passing, which can also help relieve some dysphoria, maybe:
    How to "Pass" As a Woman: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

For my fellow trans guys and FAAB non-binary folk that get other sorts of dysphoria:

1. Voice: Avoid situations that require you to speak or make vocal noises.
    2. Chest: Lie on your stomach to flatten your chest. Or bind.
    3. Face: Avoid mirrors and reflections. It may be a good idea to ditch the computer/phone, too, since there are reflections there, and just doodle or something.
    4. Hair: Tie it up. It may feel obvious, but at least you don't have curtains all around your shoulders.
    5. Bottom: When sitting, standing, or walking, spread your legs out a little more. Or pack.
    6. Clothes: Get naked. I'm not kidding. But if that makes you feel even worse, then put on the clothes that you feel best in, and try to avoid bright colors.
    7. Handwriting: Purposely make your handwriting shitty, or write in capital letters.

I know some of these are really odd, like the handwriting, but a lot of weird things cause you to feel uncomfortable, so, I just put whatever I do in there.

And, yeah, I know a lot of this reinforces stereotypes (shitty handwriting, not bright colors, short hair) but when you're feeling dysphoric, it's important to try to lessen the effects. And besides, some guys do fit the stereotypes, and that's totally okay.

Binding: How to Bind Your Chest: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
    Packing: How to Pack for FTMs (with Step-by-Step Illustrations)
    General: How to Pass As a Male (For FTMs): 13 Steps (with Pictures))

Sorry for the lack of MAAB resources. :frowning2:

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I usually change the way I'm standing/sitting, or change my clothes, and try to distract myself with something else like games or music