1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgynous...?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PrinceFabulous, Nov 14, 2014.

1. I'm a bit confused... I have no idea what my gender is anymore. I've always identified as a male. Honestly, I love my male body, and wouldn't change that, but...
    On the inside, I don't feel like a "boy". I hate when everyone expects me to be the typical manly man. I hate being forced into this strange, masculine category I don't have an understanding of. Sometimes I get depressed or upset when I realize that I'm forever stuck in this role, in a society that expects me to be something I just can't. I don't want to be put into a "boy" or "girl" category. I hate it. It makes me feel uncomfortable, and I'd rather just be able to be myself. My personality is an androgynous one; I act neither cleanly masculine or cleanly feminine. I sort of crave an androgynous, but soft and pretty-type look. I've heard that I sound like I may have an androgynous gender identity. But I don't know. It scares me...

2. Acm

Acm Guest

You don't have to be masculine to be a man. Gender roles suck, but they don't determine your gender. You can try to look androgynous if you want to though.

3. I didn't mean I don't just act masculine (Although I don't). Honestly, on top of that... I just don't feel like a boy. At all. I happen to be okay with my male body, though.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

You might be an androgyne then if it's not a gender role thing.

5. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Men can be androgynous too.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  7. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that sounds a lot like me! Thinking about it, I would say that your gender identity might be non-binary. You could be something along the lines of "agender" (meaning genderless) or "genderqueer." (which has to do with being genderless or being both genders) Those two terms belong under the non-binary umbrella. Since you don't want to be called either of the two genders, "male," or "female," I think you could possibly be "gender neutral," or "agender." If any of this doesn't sound right to you, just remember that you're right and that I'm wrong; you're the one that determines your own gender identity, no one else. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

8. Scratches

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm going through the same thing in that I don't like to picture myself as a boy or girl. I think that I fall in the middle of a very complicated spectrum, and you're not alone in this. I definitely have never wanted to "pick a side," and it's probably more normal than you think. You don't have to fit into societal expectations of gender roles, and you don't have to change your body or identify with a sex. Just dress in the clothes that you like, and act the way that you want to, and none of this requires a gender. P.S... ok this is weird, but I look up androgynous in google images because it gives me kind of a style and it does make me feel better about the skin I'm in. So it could help, it could not, but it does make me feel better.

9. Innoscience

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I'd agree with those above, you may be non-binary. There's not a thing wrong with that. An androgynous identity may not be a bad thing. Androgynous people are sometimes extremely attractive. Why should you have to conform? Screw gender stereotypes, both genders have there ups and downs, and you can choose to have the positives of both. Besides, most people have traits of both sexes, they just hide it. Many androgynous people have good relationships and lives. Who wouldn't want to be pretty, anyway? Nobody's can force you to conform, either. People are sometimes there own worst enemy. Like me, for example, I thought everybody would be against me and I'd loose everyone close to me because I identify as female with a plethora of masculine personality traits. Not one person has responded badly to my coming out, and I've come out to many, many people. You may be your own worst enemy.