1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Underwear

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JacobZ, Nov 15, 2014.

1. JacobZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I was planning to buy men's underwear and I'm a little nervous. I kinda have two main questions:

1. How do you cope with the feeling that everyone is paying attention at what you do? Last time I tried I felt like everyone was staring at me, and even if there's no one I still have to deal with the cashier...

2. Sizes. How should I know what size to buy?

Thank you for reading/answering.

I'm sorry for any grammar mistake, English isn't my first language.

Jacob.

2. Ryujin

I haven't yet gone out and bought 'female' clothes yet, but when in drama I have this same issue with people laughing at me, which they do do. It's a horrible feeling, to have someone laugh at you, but I just have to force myself to calm down and go through with it, though this doesn't always work. Have you thought about doing things to increase your self-confidence such as acting or something similar?

Second, I'm not quite certain on this one, but I think they're sized on waist size, which would be the same as with trousers, so if you know that then you'll know which size you need.

3. Ryujin

Also, I'd just like to add, if someone confronted you about it, could you just say 'I'm buying them for my boyfriend' or something? That's essentially what I planned to when I thought about crossdressing when younger.

4. Quiet Raven

Though I kinda doubt the cashier will say anything about it. It is none of their business. If they did, you could even tell them it is none of their business why you are buying it.

But I understand it would still be pretty difficult...

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

My solution would be pinch a few pennies for a while and then go in to any general big box store to buy the strangest/most unsettling combination of items together all at once. For instance, three or four cucumbers, a large pair of scissors, a smaller pair of scissors, male and female baby dolls, a full shopping cart of whippets and booze (O'Douls if underage), several rolls of duct tape, fishing wire, a tacklebox full of hammers and nails, some boxers, lipstick, horseradish, condoms, and Ace of Base's Greatest Hits.

But that's just me

7. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just relax. No one in the shop is gonna confront you about buying men's underwear. There's nothing weird about both genders buying men's underwear. If someone reads you as a girl they are probably just gonna assume you're buying a gift for someone else. Besides you're a customer, it's you who have the money they want you to spend in their shop. About choosing the correct size, it helps to know your waist size. Good luck.

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must agree. My first time going in to by feminine underwear was sorta unsettling. Nobody confronted me, I was just somewhat uncomfortable. If you don't know your size, take a guess. If you're still in kids sizes, you're lucky, the sizing is about the same for boys and girls. If you are in adult sizes, the NAMED sizes (small/medium/large) are also somewhat close, though guys stuff does tend to be a little larger than comparable ladies stuff. For guys underwear, this works to your advantage, as the sizing is typically marked in BOTH name and numbers. These numbers will generally correspond with the waist size of the pants, though there might be some fudge room, especially as underwear sizes for guys typically give a range such as 28-30 is Small, 32-34 is Medium, 36-38 is Large. If in doubt, I'd go for the smaller of two sizes. If they seem too tight, get the next size next time.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. People tend to keep to themselves and aren't nosy. I used to think that, but I never got weird looks from people

2. If you aren't sure what size you are in men's pants, add 21 to the size you used to wear in women's; (ex: 11+21=32). Then follow the size charts accordingly, if it has one. If not, then guesstimating shouldn't hurt. Keep in mind sizes will vary from company to company. In IZOD I'm a small, in Stafford I'm a medium, and in Hanes I'm a large.

10. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just ask them why is it funny and if they can respond ask them why that makes it funny.
    And tell yourself it doesn't matter because it is in the past and there's nothing you can do.

11. PeculiarChild

Wouldn't someone need a smaller size of underwear because of a :ahem: lack of something?

Honestly curious.

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The front of guys underwear has a flap that actually adjusts to the dynamic sizing of :ahem: something.

By that logic, do I need a bigger pair of underwear due to :ahem: spare parts?

13. Hatsune Miku

I used to be scared about going to certain shopping isiles(sp?) until I realized that all cashiers and other people in the store don't give a fuck about what i'm buying. unless i'm in Gamestop where they try to sell me 50 billion different things in addition to w/e i'm already purchasing but that's irrelevant in this case.

so yeah my advice whenever you the feeling that people are judging you is just to remember that nobody really actually cares about what you're doing.

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I don't think anyone gives it a second thought. But when I feel uncomfortable buying something, I shop Amazon!

15. I am Kakashi

I kinda have the same issue. I'm fine buying men's shorts, pants, shirts, shoes etc but when it comes to underwear, it makes me nervous. I know deep down that girls buy guy underwear and it's not that big of a deal, bit it still feels weird. (Although, tbh, I feel almost as uncomfortable buying women's underwear too, so maybe it's just underwear in general lol). Just knowing that someone might see something they aren't supposed to, even if in a package and not on my nearly naked body just freak me out.

At this point I've pretty much decided to do online shopping. They are pretty good about having the size measurements. And if online is unavailable to you, it would at least help to go to a store's website, so you know what they have, and can basically pick out what you want before you even get there. So you can stand around looking dumb-founded for the least amount of time as possible.

16. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it worries you, say that its for your boyfriend. Personally, I don't think it would be wise to say anything. It's better to let them assume. If you act nervous and randomly say that it is for someone else, you might make yourself look suspicious. I don't think they'll care. If they are wise, they won't say anything negative with the fear of possibly losing their jobs.

Or, you can buy them online.

I think Men's underwear goes by waist, just like Men's pant sizes. Measure your waist before you buy.

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The first and second time my heart was racing, I had the feeling everybody was staring at me, and I had to repeat myself that if someone asked me, I was going to tell them a very convincing story I had made up about going out with a guy, and blah-blah-blah (yeah, I even had a script ready on my mind)... As they said before "you are buying them for your boyfriend/brother/etc". And yes, he is not a huge guy, that's why you need it small... It'll get better the more you get used to it.

Good question. I learned it by experience, and luckily I had a very good eye the first time.

18. stormborn

honestly, no one really cares what you buy. you might feel a little uncomfortable or judged, but in the end, nothing you do will be on other shopper's minds for more than a few seconds. just try to seem confident, and people won't bother you.

sizing is a bit hard. most have the measurements on the packages. i know i was a 2 in women's pants and i'm 5'9", and a small to medium fits me. depends how tight you want them.

19. Wildside

Wildside Guest

you could always buy some really cheap ones in different sizes at a big box store, to get a sense of the sizes. and then, once you know what size works best, go out looking for underwear that you really like. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on underwear before I was certain of the size. personally, I prefer anything in pink or fuschia, but that's just a gay man's perspective!

20. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's another pants comparison for you. In guys pants, I wear about a 36x32. My kilts are a 39. When I've tried on womens pants, I fit in about a 14. (The pants I tried on I didn't like several things about)