1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if transgender, should I start hormones?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by OmnisexualHuman, Nov 16, 2014.

1. OmnisexualHuman

I remember when I was around 10, I would make up all things for me to do and if I did them then the next day I would wake up with a dick instead of a vagina. Every time my eyelash fell off, I'd wish to be male and then blow on it. There have been several occasions when I was on the floor crying because I wanted to be male so badly. I haven't felt that strongly about wanting to be male for about 2 years, but I have felt strongly about not being female. I absolutely hate it every time my dad introduces me as his daughter. And when I was shoe shopping and brought shoes to the counter, the guy working there wouldn't let me buy them because they were "men's shoes" and it made me so mad and I wish I had called him out on his shit. Anyway, since I haven't felt strongly male in a while, I'm not sure if I'm transgender. I think maybe talking to a health professional and trying to start hormones for a month or two might help, to see how I feel on them. Do you think this is a good idea?

2. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you aren't completely sure, you should probably wait a little while before trying out hormonal therapy. I don't think doctors will give you hormones for a testing of the waters. Any credible doctor would want to make completely sure if you're trans or not. If you're still interested, you can go on a natural diet that will boost testosterone. In my experience, it isn't anywhere near as high powered as prescribed hormonal therapy is, but depending on what you want that can be good thing. Also, the effects are subtle so, the changes shouldn't be too much of a shock to the people around you.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    http://gayteens.about.com/od/transgenderteenissues/f/am_i_trans.htm
    and this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anony.../147192-transitioning-where-do-i-start.html#4

The transgender spectrum goes i.e. from people living with almost androgynous appearance, to styling more like the preferred gender, to taking hormones, etc.
    Of course the list is not all possible options.
    It's up to you to collect further information...
    You might for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want.

I would do things I'm comfortable with, don't feel pressured to do something... its your decision...
    There is no only one right way to do this, and it can be fun along the way.
    Its your choice what you want to do...

4. Hexagon

I wouldn't advise starting hormones until you are sure, as the effects are largely irreversible, but you might want to try passing as male in public, to see how it feels. Talking to a professional might also be helpful.

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget, if you are wanting to eventually go on hormones, you're going to most likely need to talk to a professional first, anyway.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

Don't start hormones until you know for sure. Try talking to a gender therapist first

7. Just Jess

Yeah what everyone else said, there's a difference between "I am trans" and "I need hormones". Both of those things are true for me, but not everyone.

The best way to handle things is to meet with a doctor or therapist and talk about what exactly hormones do, what the risks are, who should and shouldn't take them, and whether they're right for you.

Hormones won't do all the work if you do decide to live life as a man. We live in a very gendered society and that makes lots of stuff difficult for us. But that kind of stuff, with all humility of course, we're awesome at helping with.

What you absolutely should not do is take the attitude "I have to prove I'm trans to myself and others to get help". That will get you nowhere. The one I took is "what do I need to do to live my life with the hand I was dealt". I got help with that attitude and, while there are tons of stereotypes I fit, there's tons I don't.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2014 at 01:07 PM ----------

I know that doesn't help a lot if you want certainty though. This is a big decision, you're smart for wanting to be sure and asking questions like that.

The thing that helped me decide was reading the reasons why people regretted transitioning. Once I really understood people's motives, both people who successfully transitioned and people who didn't. That helped more than anything. So don't be afraid of "don't do it!!!" posts, or "you absolutely have to do it" posts. Hidden inside both of those is a life story. And those stories are what helped me make an informed decision.

I also tell myself every day - especially if I have doubts - that I can always go back. It's true that some effects of hormones can't be reversed, and for folks like you they are a lot more visible. It's a second medical transition, and the second is harder than the first. But it's still possible to detransition with dignity if you ever have to, and folks around you will support you just as much as they did the first time around.

But yeah, this path, definitely right for me and I am so so glad I started down it. You know pretty early on in HRT whether it's right for you. So yeah, I think your 2 month plan is definitely worth bringing up with a doctor.

#7 Just Jess, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't jump on the HRT train unless you're 100% certain that it's the right option for you because certain changes are irreversible, and you might shoot yourself in the foot if you feel it wasn't the best option for you.

Give yourself a lot of time to think things over and work out your feelings, since transition isn't something to take lightly and is a huge step. If you feel you need help sorting your feelings out, look into gender therapy and he/she can be pretty helpful. Plus, you'll more than likely need to see one in the long run if you end up wanting to pursue HRT.

9. OmnisexualHuman

What I was thinking, partly from reading an article about this, is that if I start hormones for a short amount of time, there won't be any significant changes that I'll regret. I'll just see how I feel on them, and I'm hoping that might help in figuring out if I'm trans or not. I'm not going to do more than a couple months unless I'm 100% sure.
    Anyway, I'm definitely going to get up the courage to ask my mom (she's the only one I've talked to about any of this) to take me to a gender therapist.

#9 OmnisexualHuman, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  10. Just Jess

Awesome :slight_smile: Yeah a therapist is definitely the way to go. I hope stuff goes well with your parents!

You should realize that there are consequences even if you do T for a little while. But your doctor will know what those are and can talk you through them. That's where people are coming from when they tell you to be really sure before starting. Just at the same time, I know those kinds of messages can make you feel like "it's too late" once you have started, and can get some people to continue when it's not right for them. And I definitely don't want that for you. Generally most HRT changes take a while. The process is designed so that if it's not right for you you'll usually know soon enough to go back without too many problems. But there will be some changes right away, and you might have to do some of the things I did like training my voice and laser hair removal if you do decide to go back.

If I can ask though, what's making you nervous? Like the top 5 things maybe?

Also, have you taken any steps toward manhood without medical help? And if so, how did those make you feel? Did they make life better or worse?

11. Quiet Raven

Lots of good advice here, I don't really have any to add, but I do want to bring up one thing that bothers me....

What kind of store would just refuse to sell men's shoes to woman?? What reason would they possibly have to do that??

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :confused: Stores do that? I don't know of any like that, and I'm in a pretty small sized city.

13. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its not the store... they earn money with it...
    it would be a salesperson, and it might have nothing at all to do with you... maybe the person didn't feel well that day... or whatever...
    I would not take it personally, forgive and move on...
    there are other shops with nice shoes... maybe even nicer :slight_smile:

(*hug*)

#13 jay777, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  14. OmnisexualHuman

I think that particular person just had a problem with someone he percieved to be female buying men's shoes. I wouldn't blame the store.
    I've already talked to my mom about finding a gender therapist, so hopefully that happens soon.
    At this point, I know I'm not female, so even if it turns out I'm not transgender, a little influence from hormones won't bother me. I'm mostly nervous about being transgender because if I am, everyone will know about it because they'll see me transitioning.