1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About your parents...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tai, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My new counselor brought up something I found interesting. I won't go into a ton of detail because it should probably remain private, but it's not like I know anyone offline here, so...

If you've seen my posts about being social, you'd know I'm very introverted and shy. My dad is introverted too, but not shy or withdrawn like I am. We are similar. My mom, however, is in my face constantly, being loud, and always intruding my space. She always bugs me when I want to be alone. My counselor noticed that I seem to be more drawn to my dad because of this and trying to run away from my mom. She wasn't saying this was the main reason for me questioning my gender, she just brought it up to draw attention to it and make me think about it. I love both of them, but reject my mom while accepting my dad because of his similarities to me and not invading my space or being a loud extrovert like my mom.

So, is your level of social-ness compatible with your family members, and if not, does the gender you identify with contrast with the gender of the family member who you aren't compatible with?

This question can be answered by anyone, but it's aimed at trans people still living with their parents or someone who already knew they were trans when they were still living with them.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm definitely the most introverted person in my (immediate) family. In fact other people in my family talk behind my back about how it's bad that I'm not social enough :dry:

The person in my family that I get along with the best though is definitely my mom. This is especially true now that we're the only ones in the house but even when my dad and brother were here I got along with her best.

3. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is an interesting point, something that I have actually thought about in reference to my own gender identity. In contrast to Acm, along with you, I get along much better with my father than my mother. I adore my father despite the fact that he can be bigoted and hurtful, he still is wonderful, although I no longer live with him.

My mother, on the other hand, I loathe. I say that, but I have not talked to her more times than I have fingers, as she moved back to Denmark, and then to the Netherlands. Some issues with communication stemming from the fact she told me she could only speak Danish fluently (which I am very poor at speaking), but anyways. Lack of a mother figure. I also grew up with lots of boys :slight_smile: My cousins, my brother, ect, all boys.

I used to think that was why I was gay (girls), and why I always wanted to be a boy. But, I think that there is both a nature and a nurture component to being transgender, or, perhaps, more of a nature than a nurture aspect.

Sorry, I ended up rambling in my response. :icon_redf

I hope your relationship with your mother improves, and things get easier for you.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm distant from my parents, despite living with my mom still. I haven't seen my dad in over a year and I haven't lived with him in at least 15. I don't think I would know either way since my dad is a deadbeat. All I really know is that he's a firefighter these days and sent me a birthday card last year misgendering me after I came out to him a few months earlier. The fucked up part was that he and my step mom took the news really well.

So I honestly don't know how sociable they are or what I can say.

5. I am Kakashi

I haven't lived with my parents since I was 18, but I still see them pretty regularly (once a week ish). My default is outgoing and talkative, which is definitely me and my dad (step-dad but he raised me since I was 2). My mom can be a talker but she's more the reflective type, so when we talk it's more of a catch-up/ what's going on in your life thing. Whereas me and my dad, we do that, but then we "shoot the shit" for hours, and I tend to go into more guy mode. We drink beer, talk about football, and yeah, hot girls. XD And we also have a very similar/ kinda crude sense of humor as well.

He has 5 daughters ( 3 blood, and 2 step) and the other 4 are all pretty avg/ stereotypical women, and all straight as far as I know. So I was always kind of the son he never had, since he taught me sports, and how to work on cars, and we played NFL and Wrestlemania on Nintendo. Although he is kinda old school, I feel like if/ when I come out as genderfluid, he will be the least surprised. lol

6. anonym

anonym Guest

I still live with both of my parents (unfortunately). I'm the most introverted person in my family. Out of my parents, my dad is the most introverted but this shows up more when he's out the house or in the company of anyone outside of our immediately family. When he's at home, he's lary. My mum is the most extroverted person in the family. Whenever people have come over, she has to be the centre of attention and is over exuberant. So I do identify with my dad more than my mum based on our personalities.

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I am the only one introvert in my family and I don't get along with anybody.

8. Innoscience

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By a long shot I am the most introverted person, not just in my family, but that I've ever met. I spend many hours alone. My father is bipolar and while extremely frustrating most of the time I'm around him; I can't help but admire his far superior intellect. I love him, but hate being around him because he doesn't believe I'm transgender. He chooses to believe I have aspergers instead. (Which, I'll admit, is somewhat likely, but due to the fact that, if I do have it, it has minimal interference with my life, I don't care.) Whatever, I've moved on. My mother can be equaling frustrating, but she accepts my gender identity. Mostly because she spent a lot of time preparing for my brother to be gay or trans (He's very feminine). He's a strait male, as it turns out. My mother doesn't understand a lot of what I go through, but she accepts it and that's more than I could have asked for.

9. Ryujin

^

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Clearly my father. He is honest, straightforward, dependable, intelligent and moreover a fun, optimistic and energetic person.

My mother is also intelligent (well, it's a mix of cunning and an impressive cold, calculating mind), but we never connected on a personal level, and she wasn't never dependable, honest, etc... She changes her opinion every tenth of a second, never shows up on time, is a pathological lier... The list is endless, plus being greedy, obsessed with money and luxury (the flamboyant type, to show-off).
    I avoid her as much as I can, which means I only talk to her once every few months or so. I used to call her and try to save the relationship, but not anymore, I just got tired of banging my head against a deaf wall.

The rest of the family is mixed, but I guess we are more on the quiet side, except a couple of them that never shut up, but they are ok :wink:

I'm very quiet, probably an introvert. I love spending time on my own, and I can sit next to you, not speaking a word for hours. From time to time I feel like socializing, like a day every month or so :slight_smile:

I used to be very social before my teens, when dysphoria and depression kicked in. The more I'm moving towards my future as a man, the more accepting and the more proud, the more social and chatty I become, probably because I feel more comfortable and/or in peace with myself.

11. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm probably the most introverted person in my family, with my father being probably the most obnoxious. That said, if you want to get into how my thought processes work compared to my parents', my father and I speak the same mental language, whereas my mother and I couldn't be more different sometimes.

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents, I tried telling them shit and it didn't work out. But every time, if I need to speak about something, I go to my mother.

I'm pretty introverted, but, I don't know if I'm the most introverted, mostly because I don't know anyone. :dry:

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm rather introverted while my dad is rather extraverted. My mother is more reserved, but more standoffish than anything. I don't seem to take much after my parents in terms of personality.

14. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand about the nature-nuture cause of transgenderism. Many people would argue and say that it's determined at birth whether a person is cis or trans. And you being with a bunch of boys growing up; it may have caused some of the trans feelings in you. Then again, it may not. The part I reject is female, possibly because it's in my face all the time (my mom), whereas you welcomed being male when it was in your face all the time. Who knows.

---------- Post added 19th Nov 2014 at 04:42 PM ----------

That sounds great! Treasure your relationship with your dad; you're lucky to have it.

---------- Post added 19th Nov 2014 at 04:51 PM ----------

Dude, I would get along so well with you. I'm one of those that doesn't need to talk to enjoy someone's presence or spend time with them. If I'm sitting with some friends and no one is talking, I don't feel uncomfortable. But sometimes they'll say stuff like "This is awkward..." because they're used to a voice non-stop. It annoys me a lot. Why do they need talking to spend time with someone?

A bit off-topic, but I rarely meet people who share this quality with me.

15. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it really interesting that so many people here identify as the gender of the parent they are most compatible with. That says something, to me, anyways.

16. AlexTheGrey

Maybe I could throw a wrench in that a little, maybe not. :lol:

In my case, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my mother. Especially when it came to gender expectations and stereotypes. She didn't try to confine me, but still made random expectations based on my sex. So while I probably identify with her a bit more than my father, we didn't always get along, and we still don't see eye to eye.

My father on the other hand, was a bit more distant. We are both introverted though, and I can understand that side of him better. But it is hard for me to get along with someone who seems like they are trying to keep a respectful distance. There's just not a whole lot to get along with. And he had his own expectations of my role in the house, especially when I was the last child still at home.

But I can empathize a bit with your original post where the therapist brought this sort of family dynamic up. I still am trying to come to grips myself with my relationship with my mother, and how that might have shaped my own gender identity.

17. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So you can't really get along with either of them. Being similar to both in an equal amount... Maybe that's why you're "in the middle"? The people who identify as strictly male or female were compatible more with one or the other.

18. TheStormInside

I'm a cis female so maybe my response isn't quite what you are looking for, but maybe it'll help to get a different perspective, too?

I'm very introverted. Both of my parents are introverts, too, and I fall sort of in between their level of introversion, with my mom being the least introverted and my father being the most. I think I have personality traits from both of them that are pretty prominent, but I think I'm more like my father than my mother in a lot of ways, and unlike you that caused me and my father to butt heads a lot. We both get quite set in the way we like things to be so you can imagine how two people liking things their own way living together can cause some problems. My father also isn't exactly the nicest person and he'd come after me quite a lot verbally. So, unsurprisingly I get along better a lot better with my mother than I do my father and probably have some "daddy issues." Growing up I kind of isolated myself a lot, and wasn't really close to either of them. Now that I live on my own our relationship has improved quite a bit, however, which is nice.

So to answer your question more directly- I'm cisgender female, I am a little more similar to my dad than my mom, but I get along a lot better with my mom than my dad.

19. anonym

anonym Guest

This is interesting because as I said, I do identify more with my father than my mother personality wise but at the same time, there are many things about him I do not wish to emulate and that we clash over. Perhaps that explains why despite identifying as male, I don't really embrace either gender role.

20. im not trans so idk if i qualify to answer but my 2c.

my mum is very loud, who i live with and she doesnt like lgbt much she just pretends she does so we dont butt heads, whereas i never speak to my dad but hes 100% fine with it and pretty shy. im pretty shy. so i take after my dad i guess as he likes books e.t.c as do i but yet im confident, and my mum is really insecure. my dad i guess is an introvert as am i but i swing between extro/intro a lot, but more intro which my mum doesnt really seem to 'get'. i take after my dad more i guess. me an my mum butt heads a lot because we are completely opposite but me and my dad butt heads because well i think we are too similar maybe. im not sure though. but i get on with my mum more even though we are opposite, i guess we have just learnt how to get round our differences more but they still crop up.