1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did you hear about non-binary genders?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jinkies, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have an OC that I created YEARS ago, in the beginning stages of my gender confusion. And I'm currently having a bit of writer's block while making the origin story. On one hand, I don't want their story and my story to be too identical. On the other, I want it to be able to flow accurately (they live in Colorado). I also don't want to fall back on the character using the internet to find out about it, because I know it's not the ONLY way you can find out about it, especially nowadays.

So, with that said, I want to know how some other people have learned about non-binary genders simply just being a thing. You can list whichever ones you've learned about and from where, but the main focus is on how this character learns that you don't have to be a man or woman.

2. Ryujin

Well I learnt about it from here, but that's probably not too useful...

Perhaps hearing someone say, 'There's only boys and girls, at least i think so anyway' and then they go and check it in like a library or something?

3. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex: But Were Afraid to Ask - found it in my parents basement when I was around 14ish, so I didn't feel like such a freak for liking both guys and gals... (!)

Everyone is unique.

4. anonym

anonym Guest

Here and from Youtube videos

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

The internet, which will be the majority answer, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, though, when I started transitioning I had a sense (intuition, almost) that something still wasn't quite right attempting to live as a guy, or a binary one, at least. It felt just as forced as it did when I lived as female, and when I started researching non-binary genders (particularly genderqueer), things started to make sense again. Maybe you could incorporate your character having that sort of intuition.

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  7. AlexTheGrey

Through webcomics online, oddly. There's one done by an agender individual who described their experience in a comic. Another comic was a gender bender comic that more recently has been tackling transgender and non-binary identity a little.

I wouldn't be here if not for them, oddly.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I first learned about them on here. Somebody mentioned an identity and I gooogled it and learned from there :slight_smile:

9. biroautistic

It was through tumblr that I first heard of it, but I met another person that was very...into "fads" on tumblr, like being transgender. They cruelly label these people as "transtrenders". She was excited when I told her about being genderfluid, and told me that she had never "met one in real life" before, so I assume that she heard about it through the Internet, too.

10. DoriaN

Video games or media, examples like Chrono Trigger's Flea and the princess from the Wizard of Oz cartoon come to mind.

Was always fascinated by such things, as well as displaying my own traits growing up.

It was a long arduous denial process, but through accumulated resources, time, and doing hormone research and looking at what estrogen gives and verbally saying "I want that stuff", and looking at what testosterone gives and going "I do not like that stuffs" was enough for me.

11. MelDrake

Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was a freshman in college, (before I started seriously questioning my own gender identity), I saw a flyer advertising some event or other at the queer community center on campus, and it mentioned something about genderqueer/nonbinary genders- I think that's when I first learned it was a thing.
    I also heard on the news around the same time that some country (I want to say Australia, but I could be totally wrong) had passed a law that you could put an X on your passport if you did not want to be M or F, that they were legally recognizing other genders, so that may have been where I heard of it too.
    Of course for further research I turned to the internet.

12. antibinary

Rationalwiki.

13. PeculiarChild

My mom, actually. She read up on it and told me about it when I was about seven... I think she suspected something.

14. keerschtein

Out Status:
    Some people
    Through the internet when I was discovering my sexuality.