1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think gender doesn't exist...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by imjustaperson, Nov 20, 2014.

1. I'm a gender constructivist, and that means I believe that social norms and external categorization define gender. I don't believe in "male brains" and "female brains" in that the neurological differences actually manifest themselves in the form of behavioral, psychological differences. My view is that genreal differences in the behaviors of biological males and females are the result of upbringing, social conditioning, and internalized stereotypes and gender prescriptions.

In terms of GENDER, what makes a "man"? What makes a "woman"? The only thing you can say with certainty about people who self-identify as either, neither, or both of these genders is that they self-identify as them. Aside from pronoun usage, how is that actually helpful? What significance does it actually have? Why does it matter to people what gender they are if they can't even describe or characterize the word for their gender? It's definitionless. It's an unecessary word in the English language; what other words can you name that have no definition? Why would we need to have a word that is literally indicative of nothing?

By the way, I completely understand people whose self-presentation differs from what is expected for their birth biological sex, and I understand why transitioning is so important for some because they don't feel themselves in their bodies, and the way society perceives and categorizes one is very significant. I just don't understand the whole "gender" concept; biological sex is something real, but gender? You can't describe it without pandering to roles and stereotypes (e.g. liking high heels or playing football-- both "genders" can do these things).

I used to identify as "agender" because I didn't identify with either the male or female gender, but to be A-something I must believe that something exists. And like I said, "the _____ gender" is a definitionless word.

So for cis and binary trans people alike, why do you identify as your gender? Is it because it's the simplest way to fit into a binary society while being the most comfortable with others' perceptions of you, or do you truly believe there's any "meat" to the name of the gender you choose? If so, what is it (besides the mere fact that it's how you self-identify and you prefer the pronouns it entails)? Can you provide a consistent definition of your gender that applies to all of that gender (again, aside from the fact that it's how they self-identify)? And if you can't, why is the word significant at all in the English language?

I dream of a world where a person can act how they want, dress how they want, and have the genitalia/body they want without gendering that. Gender doesn't indicate anything about a person; if someone says "I identify as female" and another conjures up a mental image of lingerie and dangly earrings, they're operating on the basis of stereotypes.

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to refer you to a post I made earlier. Specifically the part about hormones and incidentally a friend of mine started HRT today and reported the very same thing. I understand how, since you don't identify as either gender, it would make perfect sense to you that gender does not truly exist, in the same way some bisexual people claim everyone's at least slightly bisexual.

Here's the post.

Just because I can't describe the feeling in words, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Every language I know is very poor at describing how you feel. For example: try to define love in a way that captures the feeling. I do dream of the same world you do, we don't need gender roles or gendered pronouns (my native language actually lacks gendered pronouns) because it puts a strain on people such as yourself, who do not identify as binary. I dream of a world where people don't judge each other, but simply live and let live.

3. anonym

anonym Guest

I completely see where you're coming from.

The only reasons I can give you for why I identify as male is because I feel more comfortable with male pronouns than any other and I feel that I can relate to men much more than women. I'm very introverted and struggle to entertain the type of small talk that is more common among circles of women. I only see it necessary to speak if I have something important to say and find men to be more like-minded. It's funny, this is reminding me of the thread 'About your parents...' because my father is more introverted like myself and my mother is the opposite and I find a lot of what she says completely unnecessary. It's like she talks for the sake of talking without ever considering whether she needs to speak at that time or the potential consequences of her words. I am aware that what I have said so far is all very vague and not really about gender at all. It's more about personality and what feels more comfortable. So let me add that of course, there are some male physical features that I feel incomplete without, the main ones being a penis, a flat chest and a deeper voice so there is another element to this. I guess ultimately, if you take away the social constructs, it's about feeling comfortable and complete as a person independent of social context.

4. The Leryous:
    I understand that trans people often experience dysphoria over their bodies, hormones, voices, etc. Those are sexual characteristics influences by sex hormones. Where does gender factor in?

Also, as I pointed out, I don't identify as agender anymore. I guess you could say I identify as everything since none of it impacts my life in any way. Male, female, bigender, agender, whatever. I don't care, as long as people use female pronouns because I'd be self-conscious otherwise (we live in a society where people will do a double take if they witness an obviously biological woman being adressed with anything other than female pronouns) and don't make any assumptions, stereotype me, or treat me differently. Given these circumstances, I honestly couldn't care LESS which label I have. How can a simple vocal utterance without a definition mean anything to me?

Anonym: I think I get what you're saying. Let's face it, we live in a binary world. It's important to be perceived as we want to be, and not to be labeled or characterized as something we're not. Personally I sometimes wish I didn't have any physical sex traits so I wouldn't be stereotyped, labeled, or treated a certain way just because of my sex. But I have personally decided that I shouldn't alter my body surgically because I want to help enact the change I want to see in the world: a change where body type indicates nothing about the mind. I am very conflicted on this point, however, because I would like to have a neutral body very badly and it's difficult to know if personal preference, independent of society, really is a strong factor. I have trouble reading myself, and I want to do things for the right reasons. So basically, I have a good understanding of where transsexuals are coming from as I have profound body dysphoria, for whatever reason.

I just think that as a society, we could function perfectly without even a vague conceptualization of gender. Things would probably even be better: less prejudice.

5. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not experience dysphoria over knowing I had the wrong sex hormones, rather my brain was very clearly expecting those hormones all along. I was very surprised when the relief came so quickly, I wasn't expecting anything to that extent and certainly not within that time frame.

I'm not sure we have the same definition of gender. It seems like you define gender as the social and cultural expectations of difference between genders, whereas I define it as what your brain expects of your body in terms of hormonal output and secondary sex characteristics. I think we need to have a good definition of the word that we can both agree on if we're to have this discussion. I have no interest whatsoever in the social/cultural aspect of gender, and think it should be abolished, as it is harmful to everyone and, in my opinion, the cause of a lot of grief in this world.

I also worded my earlier sentence in regards to your gender identity very poorly. I didn't mean to suggest you still identify as agender, but rather that you don't identify as binary. Sorry about that!

6. It's totally fine, I'm not offended. The only thing I want people to know about my gender is that I'm a social constructivist, I personally don't believe it (the definition I've been operating on) exists, and that I want gender stereotypes regarding personality, psychology, and behavior alike to die a brutal, bloody death.

And I completely agree with you on abolishing the social/cultural aspect of gender! I would love to live in a society where the whole "girls are natural nurturers and boys are natural mathematicians" philosophy was nonexistent, as it is largely the result of backlash against women gaining equal rights and, for many, working outside the home and having a career. That has caused a lot of workplace sexism, discrimination, and grief in this world. For boys, I think its negative effects include being embarrassed to express emotions, take the time to have thorough communication about feelings, and feeling a constant outside pressure to come across as "tough" and "manly." No doubt this contributes to issues with mental health like anxiety, depression, and suicide.

I see that you regard gender more as a person's concept of what their body should look like and how it should operate (secondary sex characteristics). Unfortunately, there are far too many people out there that perpetuate the idea that gender is determined by a person's demeanor, interests, and mannerisms, style of dress, and whether or not they wear makeup. For example, they might look at someone who is biologically a man but wears red lipstick and has a docile demeanor and jump to some conclusion about his gender.

I'm so tired of these random things-- handbags, tuxedos, earrings, buzzcuts-- being gendered. Anyone can like any of these, and it's not some huge statement about their identity (USUALLY; I have a vegan T-shirt I like to wear to make a statement but that's about animal rights).

Conversely, I think most people put what you described as "hormonal output and secondary sex characteristics" under the "sex" category. The popular definition of gender, in my experience, has more to do with personality.

7. AlexTheGrey

Let me start by saying I do agree that gender has a social component, and is on some level, socially constructed.

But let me then twist it around a little bit. What is language? And why am I even talking about language? Because language has a lot of parallels in that it is a complex thing, has a social component, can differ based on cultural histories, and is on some level socially constructed. And that construction comes with expectations, for the purposes of social contract and communication of concepts and metaphor.

Language is also tied deeply into our brains. When we think rationally, we think through the lens of language. Be it our native language, mathematics, etc. Differences in language and culture can lead to differences in thought.

But in the end, language is very much a thing. It exists, it shapes us, and we shape it. Our brains grow differently because of it.

Isn't gender, at its most basic, a similar thing? Despite having some component that is constructed socially, it shapes us. We shape it over time, and it splinters based on region. There are these tendrils coming out from it that link it tightly with other concepts (sex, roles, etc), and in the US, we have only recently started trying to disentangle these things from each other and understand them better. Gender as a word was primarily used to describe other words (was a word masculine or feminine?). It later became a synonym for sex. And it's kinda stuck there right now, in that the concept we are trying to define with it now is nebulous. Defining "a gender" or "a language" is easier than defining "what is gender" or "what is language". We've been studying language itself a lot longer, and it is still a rich field of study today.

It doesn't help that we keep trying to use words like "masculine" and "feminine" when talking about gender. They have sexual connotations, and keep gender tied to sex indirectly as a concept.

I'll add that asking a cis individual why they identify as cis is not too different from asking someone from Britain why they speak English. Yet, the fact that they do has shaped them in ways differently than someone who doesn't identify that way. If nothing else, the label is a way to convey certain life experiences to other people. Much in the same way that saying what my job is tells you what my professional life is like.

(Note my citations may be somewhat surface-level here, but they aren't intended to be in-depth, there's tons of stuff out there, but it might require a bit of digging)

I hate to say it, but the sort of roles you speak of are much older than they look. And if you explore different cultures, their histories paint different roles for men and women, although a patriarchal structure is common. If it feels like a new thing, it is only because we are challenging it more openly in the last century.

#7 AlexTheGrey, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  8. anonym

anonym Guest

Unless I consciously pay attention to my dysphoria which in my experience is never a good idea, gender for me is more social/cultural. Yes, the female functions of my body are not what my brain expects. For example, some months I am taken by surprise when I get my period. But unless I actually spend time ruminating on my body dysphoria, I experience gender purely as a social thing and I wonder if society were different, would I need to transition physically as much as I do. So I understand what you're saying The Leryous. If my dysphoria were not so bad, I would consider not transitioning physically purely to make a stance on gender.

9. DoriaN

Imo we have the two main categories male and female.

We may or may not fall into one, the other, both, or neither. We can flip flop around those two. But we are built based around those two.

Gender is not a social construct but does have social components.

There is evidence to support that male and female brains exist.

Gender is determined by the brain, by the identity, by the person.

I mean, if there was no gender, there really should be no desire of it right? Like, how would I even know I was female if I was raised male and in body am a male? Yet for some reason people feel 'trapped' in the wrong body, dysphoria exists.

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree with it.

10. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agreed that everyone should have the freedom to dress/act how they feel most comfortable with, but i don't think we should make the word "gender" disappear like that. Many people just know that they are females/males/non-binary and that it's a very important part of who they are that can't be ignored. You probably feel this way because you're a genderless person, that's just not how it works for us, so it's going to be hard to explain to you how it feels like to belong to a gender.

The best way I find to explain how I know that I am a female is that I just feel that I belong to the group of people that identify themselves as women/females/girls, but differently from other groups, you don't need to like/act/know anything special to be part of it. Really, the only thing you need to have is feel like you are one of us. Your brain must tell you that this is part of who you are, of your identity. It's something that does manifest in different ways, for some people it's just obvious for them what gender they are, for others it may take years to know for surewhat gender they are.

Sorry if it sounded confusing, that's the best way I found to explain it to you.

11. A person's preference for having certain genital and body characteristics, and thus their dysphoria if they don't have that, is definitely real and I respect it (I almost constantly wish I had a "neutral" body figure, kind of like I was before puberty but not childish, obviously).

However, the male and female GENDERS as a sets of personality traits, mannerisms, behaviors, and demeanors, are most certainly culturally situated and created by society. Yes, there are differences in the brains of men and women, but they don't go so far as to make a woman "nurturing, submissive, and emotional" and a man "analytical, dominant, and objective." Neurological sex differences are more about different layouts, not different functions.

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2014 at 04:52 PM ----------

I do describe myself as a woman. My life has been heavily shaped by my outward appearance as one.

A teacher forcing me to let a boy hold the door for me.
    My uncles assuming I won't carry on my family's last name because I'm a woman.
    People paying more attention to my appearance than the would if I were a boy.
    My grandmother assuming either me or my sister just HAS to be "the girl who likes to cook."
    Looking, overwhelmingly in vain, for Hollywood movies that don't use women (the people who look like me and have my vocal pitch) as sex objects and petty decorations.
    Not going out alone at night even to take my dog out because of rape culture.

I won't erase the frustration (however insignificant, I know some girls are refused an education and sold to husbands) I have faced JUST because I'm a woman. That's why I will always keep that term as part of my identity. Kicking it would be erasure. I do believe I'm "one of them" because I share many experiences in common with other women, experiences that I've had BECAUSE I was born female.

12. Of course I identify as a woman. The way society regards me based on my biological sex has, is, and will continue to shape me as a person. My womanhood is a demographic, just like my being a middle-class Caucasian (that's a societal privilege, though!). Have these things made me who I am today? Absolutely. Are they biological or genetic traits that dictate how my brain innately operates? No way! Proclaiming that about human beings would be not only innaccurate, but racist and sexist.

If I ever said
    "Black people just tend to naturally be worse at grammar, and their liking basketball is genetic"
    or
    "Girls tend to just naturally be worse at math and science, and their liking to nurture is genetic"
    I think I'd kill myself because I couldn't stand being so ignorant.
    It's all about our upbringing (and it doesn't go for everyone, I'm not trying to perpetuate stereotypes here).

#12 imjustaperson, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  13. @OP

I only skimmed through this thread because I don't have time to read it all right now, and I'm sorry if you said this and I missed it somewhere, but you sound like you'd really be interested in the theory of Post-structuralism. I encourage you to look it up if you don't already know what it is because it sounds exactly like where you're going with this argument.

As for the topic at hand, yes, gender is definitely a socially constructed concept. It isn't "real" because, again, it is merely a construction of society. Language falls under the same category. All labels are man-made and binaric - man vs. woman, gay vs. straight, masculine vs. feminine, etc. We have to accept that labels are restrictive and move past them. So concepts of gender (male vs. female) are just that. Concepts. There is no law of nature that says we have to follow any of these constructs.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... That blouse was just grey to me.

Ok, back to the topic... You guys are mixing gender, language, and society all in one post...

I wonder if some of you may have heard of connectomics. There is a TED lecture about it "I am my connectome". Language shapes up our brain and therefore our idea of who we are, what is gender, and so on... I don't like the sound of "female" or "male" brain, I'd rather go for "testosterone influenced brains" or something like that. The lecture has by the way a really funny moment, about "men and women's brains"...

There is gender, no doubt about it. About how many and how they should be, we could sure talk for hours... The point is, in my case, I do feel male all the time, but I'm also a human being that is at some moments genderless... Gender is simply not in your mind : You are buying groceries, paying your bills, working or whatever... But at some point you see a female, or a male, or you have a sensation coming from your own body, and then gender is in your mind again : You make a choice, influenced by your connectome, or the wiring map of your brain.

Thinking about gender lead me to the question if we are male because there is women. When we look at them, we just know we are not like them.... Or viceversa : Women know and feel they are women because of men. How would a savage know what sex he or she is, if born in the middle of nowhere and never saw another human being? This person would sure feel gender, even if he or she had no idea how to name it...

How shall we define "woman"? A mix of her sex and her appearance, according to the times and country she lives in? A victorian woman dressed in one way, and now you've got this girl with a shaven head, tatoos and military trousers. Sometimes I have no idea... There is a million ways to" be" a man or a woman... All are valid.

I'm ok with the idea of gender. I'm even okay that stereotypes exist. What I'm not ok with is the discrimination that people have to endure because they don't conform to those stereotypes.
    I understand your thoughts about being against a rabid dog, but to kill the dog is too extreme to me...

What about a tolerant world with a million different ways of being a man, a woman, trans, or even genderless? A world that respects everyone's way of dealing with gender. Why should we be against a stereotype? If someone feels that being a stereotype makes him/her happy, he/she deserves all respect, I think...

15. I genuinely find the idea that some sort of innate mind-map based on a person's sex influences the groceries they buy (or anything they do do, for that matter) highly amusing. :lol: Sex differences in the brain don't manifest themselves as behavioral or psychological differences. I read an excellent book on why http://www.amazon.com/Delusions-Gender-Society-Neurosexism-Difference/dp/0393340244.

#15 imjustaperson, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  16. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

17. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was talking about gender identity and not gender expression like you are doing now. If you don't know what they are, I'm going to explain them to you right now. Gender identity is how you perceive your gender, a few examples: man, woman, agender, neutrois, androgyne, genderqueer. Gender expression is the way you act, holding doors for another person is seem as something masculine as well as wearing dresses are defined by society as feminine.

Here's what you don't seem to get: gender expression isn't always the same as gender identity. There are feminine people that still identify as men and masculine people that identify themselves as women. There are even non-binary people that are very feminine/masculine, but they aren't men nor women.

Just something I noticed that you don't seem to understand, you have every right to say that I am wrong and explain to me why. Sorry in advance if you already knew about it.

18. Hexagon

Gender is the sense that our bodies are wrong. Without that, we'd just be male or female, whatever we appeared to be at birth.

Nonetheless, gender is a social construct, you're quite right.

19. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because gender adds colour, diversity, spice and sheer fun to life, whether one is cis, binary or trans.

20. Ryujin

Gender may be a social construct, but that doesn't mean in doesn't exist.