1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surnames

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Worlock, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In regards to changing one's name, I am wondering how those of you who've changed your name chose a surname. Did you stick with your given surname? Did you alter it? Did you pick something entirely different?

My surname is Polish and very long and cumbersome and I don't like it (I've got nothing against my family or anything, I just don't like how it sounds). I could shorten it to its English cognate (Andrews, or any variant of that; Drew?, etc.), but I'm still not sure.

2. anonym

anonym Guest

Well, I hate my surname and always have. I would like to change it along with my birth name but I think that will just tip my family over the edge. They already reject me. Perhaps a change of surname isn't a bad idea:lol:

3. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I say if you want to do it, do it! It's your name. That's kind of the conclusion I had to come to. There are just so many choices that it's overwhelming (to me at least).

4. i changed my surname and i took another from within my family, it was way back in my family tree though. maybe you could see what other surnames have been in your family perhaps?

5. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks. That's a good idea flyinhernikes.

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend has a short, common WASP-y name and I have a short, uncommon Slavic one. We'll almost certainly hyphenate the two, since we both have kids with our surnames, and his ex-wife has already reverted to her maiden name. I'm far more fond of my name than he is of his, so if we had to choose between the two, it would probably be mine, but symbolically I kind of like the idea of combining our names. Mind you, if I had some godawful name with 20 consonants and 2 vowels, I'd probably give you a different answer.

Ironically though, both of my sisters kept our surname when they married, so I'll be the only one who actually changes it to include my husband's!

7. Acm

Acm Guest

I have a German last name and it's a huge hassle when other people try to pronounce it, or when I have to spell it out all the time. I sort of want to change my last name to my mom's last name (she kept her maiden name), it's English and I prefer it a lot more.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My last name is Old English/French, I think. I plan on dropping it. I could pick up my mom's, which is Italian, but lengthy. I've considered changing it to that since my last name belongs to my dad--but I have doubts and am just considering taking my fiance's last name.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that everyone should use whatever name they want. If someone wants to use the same surname as their spouse/partner, that's fine. but the standard american practice of one spouse changing to the other spouses name almost universally always seemed a little silly to me. when we are infants we need a name, and so our parents give us one. but as adults, we find our own identity and should feel free to choose a name that goes with that. I've thought about changing my name. I don't like my name because it is much too short. but I've hesitated because of so many years of documents, retirement papers, mortgage papers, license, and everything else that is in my birth name. besides the pain of changing everything I could, there would be the confusion of all the things I couldn't. my sister just picked a name she wanted to be called, and just goes by that, without worrying about the legal part. I think we each have to sort it out, but nobody should be upset about us picking a name. by the same token, our family and long-term friends may continue to call us by the name they've always known us by. we can ask them to use the new one, but I would probably not be too thin skinned about it. Of course, I don't see my family that often, so it's easier to put up with anything in small doses

10. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... I have no real problem with my current surname honestly, its the only one I haven't changed... I might though if I get married, depending on what my spouse and I decide... it'd be fun if we could combine our last names in some way ^.^

Honestly left to my own devices I'd probably change my last name to something ridiculous like Zero or Kittykat! XD

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have you looked up the meaning ? Maybe there is a word for it in english ?
    Some people use an abbreviation that can be better pronounced in english... :slight_smile:

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We definitely will not.. it would sound very silly. :lol:

More generally, do any of you feel more inclined to change your surname if you experience hostility or rejection from parents? It's something I'd never considered before.

13. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Part of the reason I've considered it, besides not liking the name, there are some relatives on that side that have been so nasty that I was ready to change it for that reason alone. Probably the biggest single reason for not changing has been my kids, followed by all the bureaucratic issues