1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I genderqueer?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Akirak, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Akirak

So, lately (past 2? years or so) I have been doubting “what” I am, I was born female and its not like I have always been how I am now, when smaller (around kindergarten I guess) I could have been considered “very girly” or something like that, I would wear dresses happily and adore the colour pink (obviously thats just stereotypical Im by no means saying its solely for a girl to like pink or anything like that) I over time slowly changed, like people do, in everything in general, as I am now I cant really relate in things such as tastes to earlier years of my life. Sometime last year I decided to cut my hair short, and also wear male clothes (Wich I really like and feel comfortable in!) but then again, thats just a personal taste. Its been a few times that I have gone somewere (usually with one specific friend) meat people who I didnt know and been thought a guy, even though that opinion was probably solely based on my outer apearance, for they arent normally people I would talk to or get to know, whenever I was be mistaken as a guy I would feel so happy, or maybe elated would be a better word, it fealt great, it still does, even though it doesnt happen so much recently wich might be pure coincidence, anyway I just felt a bit confused, well I still do, I remember a couple of times last summer thinking how nice it would be to have a partly male body, or something like that, I dont despise my body or anything either, however I would highly prefear a different sized chest, hips, waist and such, (fortunately for me its not like I have a very femenine figure or large chest, but its just obviously not male at all) Well Im not sure if Im making sense here, also what I just said is just a preference in a way so I dont know, well thats just it I simply dont know!, so thats why I decided to ask here I guess. Thank you very much.

2. Manta

Hi, and welcome to EC!

What you've written sounds a lot like my own experience, but all I really know about you is the one paragraph you've written. You are the only one who can determine your gender identity, but sites like this can be helpful. Good news is, there is no rush in finding the answers.

How would you feel about it if you did identify as genderqueer?

3. Akirak

Yeah its true there is no rush, and honestly if I did identify as genderqueer I dont think I would feel any different at all, I am lucky enough to have parents that are cool with "who I am" so I am free to act, wear and in general express myself however I like I guess, so If I were to identify myself as genderqueer, for me it would simply mean that I have more understanding of myself, or something like that... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    Am I Transgender or Transsexual - Teens Wonder Am I Transgender or Transsexual
    and this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/150966-androgyne-identity.html#14
    and this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anony.../147192-transitioning-where-do-i-start.html#4

The tg spectrum goes i.e. from people living with almost androgynous appearance, to styling more like the preferred gender, to taking hormones, to srs.
    Of course the list is not all possible options.
    It's up to you to collect further information...
    You might also for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want.

I would do things I'm comfortable with, don't feel pressured to do something... its your decision...
    There is no only one right way to do this, and it can be fun along the way.
    Its your choice what you want to do...

(*hug*)

5. Manta

Its great you feel like you have such a supportive environment to explore your gender identity in! There are some TED talks on gender which helped me a lot, and for now, I'd recommend educating yourself on the topic as much as you are able.

Are there some pronouns you'd like to try out? You could try saying them to yourself and see how they feel, or post them here. Right now I've been experimenting with gender neutral pronouns for myself.

6. Akirak

Thank you both so much, I do already read about the topic on internet and such, pronouns have come to mind a quite few times actually, and I guess I dont really like her/she much :/ Gender neutral pronouns like their/hir do sound quite cool even if they arent really used much around here, again thank you very much for your help (It helps! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)