1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you ever date someone who...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ForAlgea, Nov 22, 2014.

1. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend recently pressured me to look into a dating cite for LGBT people. I gave in and glanced at the people on the cite. In my "matches" I found so many people that said they would only date "Transmen" and "Ciswomen". Honestly, I was a bit insulted and ended up not using the cite.

So, I got curious would you ever date someone who dates people based on what sex they are rather than what gender they identify? Or more extreme, would you date someone who didn't respect your identity?

2. Ryujin

No and no

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definately not to the second one.

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Eugh, I'd rather not be reduced to what genitalia I have and whether or not I qualify for a date because of what I have between my legs. No thanks. How unproductive would a "relationship" like that be....

5. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You see this is what I was thinking, so isn't it strange that so many people on a dating cite intended for a LGBT community would write that?

6. Ryujin

Probably people who aren't particularly exposed to the community much. The T had the lowest representation out of the LGBT.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Answer to the first question: Maybe.
    Answer to the second question: No.

8. kumawool

I would tend to date people I am attracted too, and I am rarely attracted to transgendered persons, though I have been. In general, however, I am not attracted to the typical standard of beauty, so there's that to consider as well, there are some transgendered persons that look stunningly beautiful in their new gender.

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I am a boy and nothing else... If you group me with women I will not date you.....

10. Acm

Acm Guest

No to both. I only want to date someone who sees me as a guy and respects that, not someone who likes me for my physical sex, it's pretty disrespectful to reduce a trans person to their genitals especially since so many of them are uncomfortable with that part.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We're just gonna NOPE that.

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not at all.

13. BelleFromHell

I'm not transgender, but I still say NO to both questions. I don't like to be judged based on my genitals. Don't get me wrong, I love my vajayjay and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but that's not what makes me a lady. I'm female on the inside; not just the outside, and I'd be just as much of a lady if I was biologically male.

I could understand someone being concerned about the genitals when it comes to the bedroom, but to make them your number one concern and completely exclude someone just for being transgender strikes me as appauling. I don't date asshats.

14. I am Kakashi

First one: Eh. second one: Hell to the NO.

15. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not a woman. I would propably not date someone like that. On a dating site I would loose my interest (why just state it that bluntly? Why not just say they are bisexual and just pick the right people?) but if I knew that person better and knew that they can respect me and see me as a man I could maybe consider. Respect is the key.

I have been in a relationships with people who never respected my identity. It's not happening anymore.

16. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Having to deal everyday with people that have no idea who I am is bad enough, so why should I date them...

17. SockPuppet

I can't imagine anyone would actively want to date someone who doesn't respect your identity, gender or otherwise. I mean, ideally, a relationship is ALL about respect...and if they don't respect basic principles like who you really are...that's just a recipe for disaster.

As to the first question, I think sometimes when people sign up for dating sites, they're not thinking about that first date, the nervousness, the getting-to-know-you questions, they are skipping ahead to imagining 'the first time', and 'I know I like this kind of junk and not that kind of junk' and it doesn't occur to them that by grouping like that, they are insulting the guys AND the girls who just happen to share that junk and nothing else.

So I would group that with ignorance, rather than maliciousness (which I would consider someone who doesn't respect your gender identity to be).

18. Just Jess

People who misgender can screw themselves, 'cause I'm not gonna.

That said just me personally - while I could date and in fact have dated someone with male genitals - sex just is not an option for me unless both of us have female genitals. Which means I have had to come to terms with the fact that it is not going to be an option for me period for a while. I don't think I can expect people to get past that and I don't think I should have to.

But I think there is a HUGE difference between saying "there is part of you that I am not attracted to" and just flat out deciding there's a category of people you won't date just because. If the right woman, transitioner like me, ever comes along, she'll be worth waiting and saving myself 'till we're both happy with our bodies for.

I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt but it is really hard to tell the difference between people who just don't like trans people or would judge me on my past, from people that just aren't currently attracted to me.

And yeah, completely disgusting that people treat trans guys like women. I'm attracted to women and I could never be with a trans guy. Not only is he a guy, come on, but there's a sameness and equality in a gay relationship that is just missing from straight relationships for me anyway.

19. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Never. I also noticed this when I was dating online and I was really confused by this.

I would be able to date a person who thought people with ___ parts are attractive regardless of gender identity. So they would still respect gender identity, but instead of having an attraction to genders they had an attraction to certain body parts. If that makes sense...I'm sick and hopped on cold medicine so I don't know if my thoughts are coming out right.

Edit: Lol, I'm so ill I quoted "people" instead of putting it in italics at first. whoops.

20. AlexTheGrey

I haven't used one of these newfangled dating thingies, and I am also confused by this behavior.

It makes sense. At least it would be consistent, if a little off putting that sex was the high priority for them. Unfortunately, the person mentioned by the OP is not consistent, and is insulting.

I'll admit that certain physical features are kinda important to me in attraction, but it doesn't make sense to me to ever lump transmen and ciswomen together that way.

And no, I wouldn't date someone who didn't respect my identity. But it is a lot more complicated on the first question. I would in the sense that silentscorpio says, but that is in part because as non-binary, it gets confusing discussing attraction in terms of gender.

#20 AlexTheGrey, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014