1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Can't Speak in Public Anymore

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WaitandBleed, Nov 22, 2014.

1. WaitandBleed

WaitandBleed Guest

I'm wondering if anyone else has the problem where if they pass, they find it hard to speak in public, because it might lead to people questioning your gender? I have a voice that typically allows me to pass as male anyway, but I'm always paranoid that I'll crack and sound feminine.

2. kumawool

You look very male, I imagine the worst that would happen is that someone might think you're gay because stereotype! Though this said, it's not uncommon for males to have very low, or high voices, independent of sexuality, but I digress.

I imagine your fear is very common.

#2 kumawool, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  3. WaitandBleed

WaitandBleed Guest

Yeah, a lot of people do assume I'm a gay male, which doesn't really bother me because it's still being perceived as male, but I just don't get why. I think they translate the shyness to femininity like you were saying with stereotyping.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have that problem too. I feel like if I don't exaggerate my beard, then I'm going to get read the wrong way in public because of my voice.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd say relax...
    if you feel a bit more male, that should show in your voice...

And to keep you calm:
    voice is also about intonation and vocabulary.
    Men tend to speak more monotone and in short sentences. They tend to be more direct.