1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scents

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IJustWantToLove, Nov 23, 2014.

?

What kind of scents do you like? (shower gel, shampoo, soap, deodorant, perfume)

1. I'm a guy and prefer "masculine" scents on me and others.

8.3%
  2. I'm a guy and prefer "masculine" scents on me, but not on others.

11.1%
  3. I'm a guy and prefer "feminine" scents on me and others.

2.8%
  4. I'm a guy and prefer "feminine" scents on me, but not on others.

5.6%
  5. I'm a girl and prefer "feminine" scents on me and others.

16.7%
  6. I'm a girl and prefer "feminine" scents on me, but not on others.

8.3%
  7. I'm a girl and prefer "masculine" scents on me and others.

13.9%
  8. I'm a girl and prefer "masculine" scents on me, but not on others.

8.3%
  9. I don't identify as male or female and prefer "masculine" scents on me and others.

8.3%
  10. I don't identify as male or female and prefer "masculine" scents on me, but not on others.

5.6%
  11. I don't identify as male or female and prefer "feminine" scents on me and others.

8.3%
  12. I don't identify as male or female and prefer "feminine" scents on me, but not on others.

2.8%
  1. IJustWantToLove

So yeah, what I'm basically curious about is:
    What kind of scents do you like? In shower gels, shampoos, soaps, deodorants, perfumes, etc.
    Specify in a post if you like.

I identify as (mainly) female and use sort of unisex deodorants and shower gels, but a perfume "for men". And I prefer "masculine" scents on others as well.
    I really can't stand it when people smell overly like vanilla or coconut.

-------------------------

I wrote "masculine" and "feminine" scents.
    What I meant is what is traditionally or commonly seen by society as "for men" and "for women", i.e. masculine scents being musky, earthy, spicy, herbs, etc., and feminine scents being sweet, fruity, flowery, etc.

2. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    lol we wont get along then lol, i perfer vanilla scents such as warm vanilla sugar from bath and body works, i also love black cherry vanilla lotion

3. IJustWantToLove

Only if you smell overly and very prominent of vanilla, then yeah, we probably won't get along :icon_redf
    I don't know, something about those fruity smells makes me nauseous and makes me get headaches... :eusa_sick

4. shinji

shinji Guest

Vanilla and Caramel, are proven to attract both male and female. From personal experience, i know for a fact that my Thierry Mugler A*Men has quite a noticeable effect on males and some females (not all).

That's it for perfumes. As for shower gels and shampoos... I use L'Oreal shampoo and hair mask, and it has it's own smell, i guess... It's good, i like it, people around me like it, but it's not something special. For the body though, i tend to go with Fa shower gels or Adidas and Cliff. Others are too... meh. Fa has this one lineup with menthol that is like... crazy refreshing, and this other "passion" lineup that is like... stays on you all day. Currently using Nivea, since they had a promo and i wanted to try something more "gentle" to the skin, rather than to go for something that actually smelled good. Not that Nivea doesn't smell good, but it's... meh.

I don't use deodorants, i mean... not sprays. I do use underarm deodorant but, with no scent, just... to keep the area cool and fresh. Don't really have problems with smell there, since... good hygiene and lack of hair.

As for soap, i use Dettol liquid antibacterial soap, which surprisingly smells (and cleans) quite good. They also come with this automatic dispenser, so kewl! Think the one i use now is vanilla, next one will be something fruity, oranges i guess?!

I also use moisturizer that has a really strong-ish smell. The L'Oreal gold line, i mean, the "day" stuff is okay, i guess... but the "night" cream is soooo strong, smells like honey. And it's not like i'm caking it on, it's just that strong (and soothing). Eye cream is odorless, kind of mixes in with the moisturizer.

5. Gen

Gen

I've always found distinguishing between fragrances based on alleged masculinity and femininity to be ridiculous. There is are zero chemical identifiers to warrant such a connection except for the asinine notion that women should smell like flowers and men like lumberjacks.

6. DoriaN

Okay.

Also I tend to like Vanilla Citrus and floral scents. Nothing too sweet though.

7. IJustWantToLove

That's why I put masculine and feminine in " "... And explained which kind of scents I meant... I could have put specific scents in place of masc or fem, but that would just have made the answers even longer. I don't say people who smell musky can't be feminine or people who smell flowery can't be masculine. Just for the sake of keeping it simple I chose to go with masc and fem scents.
    And you can't really deny that there's a difference between scents produced "for women" and scents produced "for men", can you?

To be honest, I don't quite know what you mean by "there are zero chemical identifiers to warrant such a connection". If you care to explain, I'd like to learn.

I'm just curious, you know. Because for me scent is kind of a part of attraction. If I don't like someones smell, they're probably not gonna be very attractive to me.
    So I know a lot of girls, who for themselves prefer flowery, sweet and/or fruity scents, but prefer musky, spicy scents on their boyfriends (cause I pretty much only have straight friends...). I on the other hand, as I said before, prefer musky scents for both, me and others. And I found that kinda interesting and simply wanted to see what you guys had to say about it. I didn't mean to offend anyone...

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually wear perfume that smells like fruit or vanilla. ^.^ I love it when girls smell sweet, hehe. ♥

9. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    I use sebamed 3-in-1 shower gel. Think it's called fresh shower.

10. cuppycake

Exactly my thoughts! My shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, perfume, deodorant,.. pretty much everything I use is fruity and light in fragrance ~ And I love it when girls smell that way, too!

11. anonym

anonym Guest

There wasn't an option on the poll for me. I don't like any scents on me at all. I don't mind them on others but not near me. I try to find the most neutral scented products but it's not easy.

12. Gen

Gen

No different than with color, the scents that we interpret as feminine/womanly or masculine/manly are all very much based on our social influences. Back in medieval, smelling of flowers would have been just as sought after by men an by women because being able to maintain a floral aroma in daily life would have insinuated wealth and privilege. There was simply no concept of "cologne vs perfume" until recent centuries.

My motive in point this out is not to be the kill joy of this thread. It is important to remember not to allow the distinctions that much of society currently makes in regards to gender or expression convince ourselves that these concepts have any actual meaning in the physical world. Likewise, pink is fundamentally no less masculine than blue.

13. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wear feminine (like flowers or fruits) scents, some guys are really confused by this.

One even asked me "Dude are you wearing that to make girls like you and attract them? Wow that's genius!" and I was like ... what the fuck? That's some twisted logic right there :confused:

14. DinelodiiGitli

I didn't vote becuase I sort of like both on other people and I myself usually just smell like coconut oil and Zum soap.

15. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess this is probably considered more on the feminine side, but I've always liked vanilla, coconut, and citrus. I don't like anything that has a very strong scent, but subtle is good.

16. duende84

Im mad about scents such as Hugo Boss and Calvin
    Klein Dark Obsession. Something manly yet sophisticated. Not overly soapy.

But then also, I am a sucker for lavender and rose room scents. The proper stuff.

17. IJustWantToLove

Sorry, anonym, I didn't even think of that as an option :icon_redf

@Gen Thanks for explaining, I understand now what you mean.

18. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly the same for me except I don't use perfume as my mother is highly allergic... But everything I use is either Vanilla or fruit scented, the only exception is my current deodorant is a men's deodorant because it actually smells VERY citrusy and nice and it's hard to go shopping for women's deodorant when my stupid roommate keeps tagging along with me to the store... I even tried to look at the women's section and the jerk wouldn't stop yelling my other name till I came over to the men's section x_x

I've honestly always hated "men's" scents but I was usually to embarrassed to buy women's body wash a deodorants so I usually ended up using men's products anyway... >~< and no I don't like those "masculine" scents on anyone else either. I just think it smells like soap and chemicals and it burns my nostrils x_x

#18 Nekoko, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Vanilla is a good neutral smell, I think. It's one of the few smells anybody can get away with, at least around here. Male or female, if you smell like vanilla, it isn't a problem. Now, if you're a male and smell like a pack of Skittles... well, LOL...

As for me, I prefer "feminine" scents the most. However, most "masculine" scents, tend to have this very overly clean smell to them. Which, can be nice, but in the right situation.

This might make me odd, but, I think it needs to be said. Some people, just rock certain smells better. There's a fellow I know, and he always wears this spicy cologne. By itself, it's a fucking horrible smell, but him, it works for some reason. So, that's something else I consider as well.

20. IJustWantToLove

That doesn't make you odd at all. I don't know why that is, but I heard before that perfume smells different on the skin, which is why certain scents smell good on the test strip thingy, but not on one's skin and the other way around. I don't know if it's some kind of reaction of the skin and the perfume, but that's totally a thing.
    Btw, that's one of the reasons why I think giving perfume as a present is the worst gift ever (in addition to, you know, not knowing what scents the other person likes...)