1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ftm clothing - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Nov 26, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

Since I have started shopping in the men's department, I have been returning about as much as I buy. :lol: A lot of it is to do with fittings but I'm finding it's mostly style related. Shirts in my size and that I actually like are hard to come by. I have to shop in stores where the clothing is aimed at teenage boys/young adults because they are the only places that stock my size. The problem is I really don't like 'fashionable' men's clothing. Fashion is something I've dropped since I stopped living as female. Nowadays, I don't give a damn about what's in fashion and I really don't like graphics or prints on shirts or t-shirts, men's knitwear or plaid. Is that odd?

2. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

VERY. YOU CANNOT BE FTM IF YOU DO NOT APPRECIATE PLAID.

Seriously, though, it's totally fine that you don't like those styles. I personally love them - but to each his own, right? :grin:

3. Manta

I go for simple button up shirts and dark jeans. I have a friend who only wears basketball shorts. I know a guy whose butt hangs out his pants are so low. Wear whatever man. :thumbsup:

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Look, I'm FTM and I am a crossdresser! My normal (not crossdress) clothing are often just black...

Where whatever you want! You don't have to be ''in style''

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you preffer plain shirts, you should be able to find both simple button up shirts as well as polo shirts that have no or minimal designs to them. I wear them all the time when I'm in guy mode (most of the time). For the polos that aren't a solid color, it's almost always a repeating pattern, or stripes.

6. DinelodiiGitli

I don't see anything wrong with that. Where whatever is comfortable for you. :slight_smile:

7. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks, I'm just finding it really hard starting out with clothing. I am literally a blank canvas and find it difficult to know what to add, what feels right and what is just another fake facade. Certain clothes, even though they're men's I can't bear anywhere near me. They make me dysphoric, either because they look too feminine or they make me horribly aware of what is 'wrong' with my body, especially on the legs/hips and chest area. I struggle to wear anything that expresses any kind of personality.

8. Manta

I know what you mean. My sister always had a very clear idea of what she liked to wear, and I always ended up with her hand-me-downs, so once I could start getting my own clothes there was a lot of trial and error. The best advice I can offer is to keep a record of what you've tried that you liked and didn't like, then keep experimenting 'till something fits.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually just wear band shirts and skinny jeans, and the occasional flannel button up or hoodie; nothing special. Wear whatever you like, dude.

10. I am Kakashi

Polos and pearl snaps :grin:

11. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a personal choice that has nothing to do with gender, dude.

12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with everyone else, wear whatever you want. My preferred style is somewhere between my ex's high fashion and my current bf's "why do I need a t-shirt that isn't white or black?". To each his own!

13. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks Manta. That's a good idea.

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did this a bit when first shopping in the men's section. Once you figure out what you like, it becomes a lot easier. So, I agree that you should keeps record of what you do and do not like. That has helped me a ton.

15. NewAndrea

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I dnt know how you feel about thrift shops, but they can be great . that's where i somtimes shop for my boy clothes and i also typically go for more of a plain look as a guy i don't like items with graphics or logos either. Try a thrift shop you might be suprised. besides department stores will somewhat steer people towards certain styles and that no good if you are an individual .

16. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks. It's difficult to find my size, that's all. I have to say more high street shops are stocking smaller men's sizes nowadays but you have to look hard to find the plainer less 'fashionable' items. I also hate the little buttons on the collars and double front pockets. When you're trying to hide your chest the last thing you need is double pockets emphasizing the area.

17. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never been into wearing what's in style, except when I went through a skinny jeans phase. It's okay. When you're at the store, see if you can try on the clothing before you buy it. It will save you a trip back to the store.

18. wanderinggirl

Hoodie over the buttondown hides all manner of sins.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2014 at 09:12 AM ----------

Start by looking for simple styles you like/feel good in; worry about the fashion later. Keep an open mind when you try stuff on; it might not look great on the hanger but a graphic print shirt could really help disguise a chest.