1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out + Transition

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ArthurOK, Nov 28, 2014.

1. ArthurOK

ArthurOK Guest

So after a long, long period of discussion (and still no acceptance on my mother's end), my parents are allowing me to transition socially. I got really excited, but then I realized I have no idea what I'm doing at all. There are a ton of YouTube videos and threads here on medical transition, but very few about starting to present as your true gender. For those of you who are out, could you weigh in about how one should go about coming out and socially transitioning?

2. Just Jess

So I'm on HRT now, but I was not for an entire year after I came out. And during that time I had started presenting as myself more and more, eventually everywhere outside of work.

The best advice I could have had back then is three things.

Do what you are comfortable doing.

But make being you the "safer" and more comfortable thing whenever you can. You have to give up the idea that being a woman is "safe". You will discover pressing forward and being a man consistently is often the better bet.

And unless it is really you, don't go back and forth any more than you have to. That will exhaust you even more than if you weren't transitioning at all. You mentioned being genderqueer though, so if you are comfortable being viewed as a woman ever, don't worry about this last one.

You are hugely awesome, and you will be fine. The most important parts of becoming a woman were the parts I did before I started HRT. As far as I'm concerned my transition began when I came out.

#2 Just Jess, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  3. laut

Out Status:
    A few people