1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BecomingEllie, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Hi there, so, I haven't been on here too much, but I've been thinking a bit lately. So, yeah, the whole trans thing. I go through almost bouts of dreadful desire to be a girl, from just complete disinterest, not particularly wanting to be a guy, but just, not caring?

So I'm really curious, would you think that it's likely that I'm just a hormonal teenager, or that I just have more issues than the trans thing that are interfering or something.

Also. I've noticed myself being more and more attracted to girls the more I think about and accept that I think I'm trans, and I just is that normal.

And another also, I don't want to dress up really fancy and girly all the time, I just kinda want to be a girl? I don't want to leave behind jeans and hoodies and whatnot, but I would love to be able to wear a skirt and tights every once in a while. I just. Yeah.

Basically, I'm going to say I'm asking for advice, not so much a link to a page to read, just, I think I need to talk to people. I need to answer questions about what's going on with me, and stuff like that. I need to just...talk?

Sorry, if I'm rambling. I think I'm in a half-venting mood atm. Basically, I'm just really conflicted between whether I want to be different or I want to be a girl.

2. JustJJx

You might be genderfluid? Sliding between genders like me *hugs*
    Any local LGBT support groups you can go to?

3. WyldStyle

So it sounds to me like you want to be a girl, but at the same time there's a lot of boy stuff you don't want to leave behind. I'd also label that as genderfluid, I'm the same way c:

If that's not it, then my second guess would be that you want to be a more tomboy-ish girl, so that you can wear pants and baggy stuff a lot, but still wear more girly clothes when you want.

4. Calix

Sounds to me like you're a girl who isn't hugely feminine all the time to me, but only you can figure this stuff out.

5. Quiet Raven

That is what it sounds like to me as well. That is actually how I feel. And I could relate quite a bit to your post.

6. Generally, when I really think about it, I don't like stereotypical 'boy things'. You know, that obligation to be strong, manly and whatnot.

When I first really started thinking about trans stuff, it was just clothing really, I tried on some female clothes (not sure what exactly) and it just felt good. Like empowering maybe? I actually dress sort of ambiguously on a daily status, and I really enjoy it. I normally wear like, converse, skinny jeans, t-shirts, flannels and scarves, things like that. I think just one of the biggest issues I have is that I want to be able to do my hair and wear makeup and skirts without being judged for it. And I think fear of judgement is one of the biggest things holding me back.

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Have you thought about surgery and hormones? When I was your age I felt kinda the same, although opposite genders. I decided then that I definitely don't want any surgery, which is why I chose the genderqueer label.

8. I definitely want hormones. I would love actual hips, like that's a dream of mine. But the thought of surgery is both scary and amazing? Like with facial surgery I think it'd be rad, get less of an arching brow or whatever, but when it comes to SRS, I don't know if I'm afraid of losing what I got down there, or if I'm afraid it won't look good.

9. Just Jess

I think fears and concerns are normal. "I'm a girl" and "I need SRS" are two different things. They're both true for me but I have met plenty of us that is not true for.

It sounds like you're telling us you need more time to think about this stuff? Or you have made up your mind and are just a little nervous? Either way you're 17, you have already went through one kind of puberty. You have as much time as you need. Don't believe the people that say you can't transition successfully if you are older. I have met people older than myself that transition very successfully. I started hormones at the beginning of this year and I'm turning 34 in a few weeks. And I have experienced "boyfail" (dressed as a boy, called "ma'am") more and more often lately myself.

You know you have a need to be a woman. You know fear of judgement is holding you back. So maybe imagine what you would do if you weren't afraid? What day to day - or even an ideal day - would be for you? Maybe what else you want out of life - husband / wife, seeing some "bucket list" places, starting a business, going to college, whatever, it's yours? And how transition would fit into that. Like me, I can't have an honest, close, and yeah I'm a grown up who is going to be with someone that long, sexual relationship with anyone at all unless we're both women. Not fighting myself constantly also enabled me to get my degree in computer engineering, I am so glad I came out senior year. Stuff like that.

This is all about you, who you want to be, who you need to be, to live and be there for anyone depending on you.

If it's the social thing, I think the best way to get past that is just to do things that are socially unusual - I started small, obviously mismatched socks - and then just see how little other people actually care. When they do stare, you notice how little that matters too. All they can do is stare, it doesn't affect anything. Most people are cool, even if I do get "clocked" (meaning people can tell I used to live life as a guy).

10. Porter

Out Status:
    A few people
    You sound a lot like me! Although I'm the other way around, I'm AFAB but I feel like I swing in between 'male' and 'eh' a lot. I'm still questioning, but I like the label Genderqueer right now because I don't have to fit any particular box with it.

I'd recommend just thinking about what kind of actions you'd want to take with it? (e.g. clothing, being 'out', hormones, surgery) Figuring out what would fit you the best and what you're the most comfortable with might also lead to having a better idea on how you fit in the spectrum. You obviously don't need to want these things to be trans, but I feel like it helps when you know your own opinions on them and what you would want to achieve with any of them.

Also I like to tell myself it's okay to question and experiment with my gender identity and expression. Don't be afraid to take your time trying stuff out before putting labels on yourself.

Good luck!

11. Thinking over it all, I really love the idea of hormones, dressing like a girl, things like that. Maybe not to a superb extent, but just the freedom of it. I just...I need to work past the social stigma against it, talking to people, things like that? It's really hard and just yeah.