1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans* Support Group

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Laszlo, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Laszlo

So I'm considering checking out a trans* support group type thing.. Um. I'm really scared. It's for youth so I'm worried that I'm going to be too old because I'm 21 and it doesn't say what the age range is but then in other areas they say either 29 and under or 26 and under and I definitely fit there.. I mean I could just call and ask. I'm scared though. Like.. idk. Honestly I feel like I'm just thinking of a million+ excuses not to go or call or... Bleh. Maybe I just need some encouragement?? :help:

also will i be shamed for not being out cause i'm really scared of that....

#1 Laszlo, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. WyldStyle

You can do it! I'm proud of you for just doing the research and considering it. Everyone could use some friends around to support them, and I'm sure this would be perfect for that. :slight_smile:

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Go for it. I'm about to finally get an appointment with someone from a LGTB center, hopefully for the next week. I also became extra creative before doing it (finding a million excuses not to go), but I think I'll be worth it.

There is people of all ages, and if it is not the case, they'll find the right group for you. You don't know for sure until you try it. What is the worse that could happen? They won't eat you...

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Trans groups tend to have a lot of variety. The one I used to attend regularly, was mostly composed of college aged, and adults, just trying to find a place to blow off some steam and be themselves. We occasionally had high school kids come in, and they fit in alright. In the grand scheme of things, age doesn't really matter too much, and if anything, I appreciated getting to know older trans folks who've shared their experiences, and the younger ones who are figuring it all out.

If anyone shames you for not being out, they're jackasses. Being out shouldn't be a prerequisite to joining a support group, and I bet more than half of the people attending aren't completely out, considering how difficult it is to even mention being trans to someone, especially parents.

Just remember that if it doesn't go too well, you're not obligated to return. It's worth a shot, I mean, you might make some connections, learn about the resources you have in the area, or even get advice when it comes to coming out. But if it leaves a sour taste, you don't have to endure it again! Better to take a chance than ponder about how it could've went and have regrets. If it makes you feel better, I was in the same predicament the first couple of times I attended, and now the closest friends I have are people I met from the group.

5. Laszlo

Thank you all for the encouragement <3 I guess I should stop making excuses.. Just stick it in my calendar and go on Thursday. Oh goodness a whole week to build up anxiety xD I just overthink everything.. But I think reading what you all have said will help :slight_smile:

And Vodkabaret, I hope that your appointment goes well!!