1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anorexia and Dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by huneymaybe, Nov 29, 2014.

1. huneymaybe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey so I was just wondering if this was a common combination. I know I have had a fun time with both these demons in my head and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who is also suffering or has suffered.
    I just feel like both these problems feed off each other and every time I think I'm getting better one or the other pops up and I'm back to the beginning.
    Is there anyone who beet it, if so do you have anything to say?
    Is there anyone else who just wants to put it out there: "hey I struggle too, I'm not alone."

2. Laszlo

You are definitely not alone. For me, the dysphoria kind of.. fuels my ED. Like.. It's one of the reasons for it? I don't know. They definitely feed of each other, like you said.
    You know, I can't speak as someone who has beat this. Honestly, if I were back in treatment (at the centre I liked and would go back to) I would be on the support table because I can't stick to a meal plan and have been at this stage of "recovery" for months. However, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Just really incredibly difficult. I do actually have a friend who, like us, deals with both and is way more solidly in recovery than I can even imagine being so I know it's possible.
    Anyway, if you ever need someone to talk to, just shoot me a message :slight_smile: <3

3. Manta

Definitely not alone! Exercise has always had the biggest impact on my appetite , so if you're able, I'd recommend seeing if there isn't a sport you're interested in. For me, something like ballroom dance, where there is a set time and the people there ask after me works really well. Swimming, if you can get through the changing room is also great.

4. Calix

I don't have anorexia, but I do have bad depression that makes me have no appetite. Recently my head has responded to this with thoughts that I'd be better off, and maybe able to pass better if I ate less. Which is kinda scary. I try to exercise but I also have Seasonal affective disorder, and that throws extreme fatigue (And I already have on/off anaemia) into the mix - whoo xD

5. Raatox

You are defenitely not alone! I did not have anorexia , but a very uneasy relationship to food and exercise. Before I realized/accepted I am trans, I knew I wanted narrower hips, broader shoulders and smaller chest. I just didn't realize why, so I just tried geting thinner and more muscular, quite manically

6. Laszlo

I think exercise, which Manta mentioned, can be helpful but it can also turn into something really dangerous.. So if you were to go that route it's important to do it with a meal plan and someone who can keep you accountable.. As a dancer, I know how hard rigorous activity can be on the body and without the proper nutrition it can be incredibly dangerous..