1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender expression and confidence

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Raatox

Hi!

Since i've begun expressing me more masculine I've experienced that doing so improves my confidence and lust of living a LOT. The difference between going to a party in a dress or in a suit is the difference between sitting in a corner, looking and beeing king of the floor, talking to everyone.

I think it's a bit strange, I mean, it's just clothes... But it's nice :grin:

Is this common? :slight_smile:

2. IJustWantToLove

I don't know if it's common, but I'm the same :slight_smile: I guess just being comfortable in one's clothes is what gives us confidence :slight_smile:
    Anyways, it is great that you feel that way :thumbsup:

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They are not just "clothes", they are an expression of who you are. It's normal you feel more confident, perhaps because you are not feeling embarrased of the image you are projecting :icon_wink

To me it feels great to wear men's clothing. I even became interested in fashion (well, classic men's fashion), and for the first time in my life I really do care about what I wear, and that it fits. I even iron my clothes and read the labels. It's something I like to own, because it brings me joy, and therefore take good care of it.

My girl clothes are already packed on a suitcase, waiting for new owners (hopefully transwomen).

4. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it's not so much the clothes as being more comfortable with myself in general. I'm not pretending to be something I'm not, and I squashed that annoying little nagging voice that kept telling me I should try to act and look more feminine.

I've always dressed very gender-neutral, when left to my own devices. I have to work on some other body issues before I can really feel comfortable with the way I look, but I love men's fashions, especially the dapper look. And the shoes. Man shoes are awesome.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

Even though in some ways I'm self conscious because I worry people are judging me for dressing like a guy, I have a lot more confidence too. I think it's because I actually feel comfortable so I can relax more and feel better about myself.

6. Manta

^Seconded. I get nervous about being judged, but then when no one says anything negative it's a huge confidence boost.