1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching Mulan while going through a gender identity crisis is strangely reassuring!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JustJJx, Nov 30, 2014.

1. JustJJx

So i've been in a bad headspace lately over figuring out my true gender, and after working a lot of hours at work this week i decided to chill and relax with my roomies and watch Mulan!
    Pings journey is such a heart warming yet highly relatable one, it's a comfort...so i guess the real point of this thread is what is comforting to you in your bad moments? *hugs for all*

2. Manta

Re: Watching Mulan while going through a gender identity crisis is strangely reassuri

YESSS!!!!!

Mulan was my go-to on rainy days, and I still belt "Reflection" whenever I'm especially frustrated. That song gives me feels.

Something else to look into doing would be a bit of exercise to work the stress out of your system if work hasn't worn you out too much. I do ballroom dance (a bit unconventional) and sing whenever I'm feeling worked up, stressed out, anxious, or generally negative.

3. Hiems

Re: Watching Mulan while going through a gender identity crisis is strangely reassuri

I think Mulan is a great movie because it reminds us that being gender non-conforming should be accepted.

Also, she demonstrated bravery and fearlessness. And she really loved her dad for taking his place in the army, as he was not in good shape to fight.

There was a point in the movie where the soldiers disguised themselves in kimonos and face paint to help Mulan. Like Mulan, just being gender non-conforming, at least in my eyes, was kinda cool.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing the movie, but yeah, that's my two cents haha...

4. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

haha! I watch mulan whenever I feel particularly down about my gender! The combination of reflection and make a man out of you makes me feel better

5. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I also relate with Mulan in a way besides the gender bending. I was one of the girls born in China that wasn't viewed as valuable compared to the boys, just like her. She's my Disney counterpart, I guess you could say. :slight_smile: Except that I think I'm a boy now, and she doesn't. Now I want to watch her again...

6. Chriswe

Yeah, I've been thinking of this lately. This guy "Paint" on YouTube made a song about what may have happened after the Disney-movies and when he impersonated Mulan he sang "I've been dressing like a guy for months, now I'm losing all control. I think I am a guy in my soul!"

That kind of opened my eyes a bit. Anyways, when I'm havin a bad/dysphoric day I just lay in my bed, watching my favourite YouTubers. :slight_smile:

7. DoriaN

8. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Haha! I was googling Mulan last night when my brain wouldn't let me sleep! I found a great image that said "To be a man you must be swift as a coursing river, with the force of a great typhoon, have the strength of a raging fire, and mysterious as the darkside of the moon. It says nothing about having a penis." :grin:

I also really enjoy watching "She's the Man" or re-reading The Lioness Quartet book series by Tamora Pierce.

9. JustJJx

Seems like Mulan is a favorite in these parts :grin:

10. antibinary

I might watch it then. It's one of the few DP films I have.

11. Ryujin

I watched this the other day.
    It made me vaguely sad.

12. Calix

'Let It Go' from Frozen. The first time I heard that song I stopped fighting myself and accepted I was a guy.

13. Manta

That song was awesome until I remembered I work with small children. Did you know even their dresses play that song!? :eek:
    Still awesome though. I can sing it in three languages. (!)

14. JustJJx

Aww thats fab ^_^ *hugs* great song, great film x

15. iiimee

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who watched Mulan during that time... I felt embarrased sitting through the movie, knowing how those cheesy Disney lyrics about "making a man out of you" could easily describe my struggle... If only I had a cute boyfriend helping me with my struggle like her... only she wasn't transgender I think... If only Disney made truly transgender characters... or at least non-hetero for once...

16. JustJJx

Aw i know exactly how you feel without the songs, the whole film was just filled with feels!!
    I'd love a lovely boyfriend to cuddle me through the rough times...

One day, one day we'll have them!!

17. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Disney has announced it's making a movie called "Princes", it's supposed to be out (HA!) next Autumn. :slight_smile:

There's also this list...which I have rather mixed feelings about. On one hand, Disney managed to sneak quite a few LGBTQ characters into their movies. On the other hand, this could be a little insulting. The 14 Disney characters you had no idea were gay | Gay Star News

18. JustJJx

Super sneaky LGBTQ placement :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Cheers for the list :grin: (*hug*)