"Then why do you have boobs?"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chriswe, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Chriswe

Hello people on EC. So I just need to vent a little I guess. I'm genderfluid, mostly male, with female body, and I can't get a binder because I live with my family that would most likely kick me out if they knew.

So, in Sweden we have this really stupid holiday called Lucia where we (school kids) dress up in white dress-like clothes, learn some songs, then sing it for people. It sounds stupid, doesn't it? Well all the girls has to have glitter in their hair and around their waist, while the guys has to have cone-looking things on their heads. It's weird, I've never liked it.
    Anyways, as you've probably figured out they separate guys & girls a lot. Everyone thinks I'm a girl, so they placed me with the girls, even though I have a pretty dang deep voice.

I mumbled to one of my best friends that I wanted to be with the guys, so she answered "Well you're not a guy?" and I answered "What if I am though?" (I like dropping hints every now and then.) She then said the thing that reminded me of how uneducated most people are: "Then why do you have boobs?"... I wanted to slam my head against the wall.
    I can't believe that I used to think that gender & body were the same thing too.

When I come out to her, some day, I will educate her. If you have the chance, please educate people. It helps out a lot. Thank you for reading, I'm gunna sleep now.

2. Ryujin

It's already one of my missions in life.

I shall educate the shit out of people.

3. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    That's the worst and I'm really sorry you have to deal with that. You deserve more. And I'm proud of you for being brave enough to start that conversation with her.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yeah, but.... it's true. Men do not have breasts. I am trans myself and I know this. I am male inside. But not yet out. So I bind.

5. IRllyDontKnow

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well I don't want to start a discussion really if you are just venting but I don't think it is such a weird or uneducated thing to answer with. Perhaps she just thought you were joking around and haven't picked up on the hints you have given. If you had come out to her it would have been a completely different thing to get such an answer. Now as it is, even if for all intents and purposes you feel like more of a man, you are still biologically a woman and that is how she sees you too.

Besides I have to disagree about Lucia being a stupid tradition. I personally enjoy the celebration, though it is true it is quite gender divided and I can see how you might feel uncomfortable participating in it.

6. JustJJx

They won't know what hit them with the loooooong over due gender education session they need!!

7. processingerror

That annoys me too chris, the amount of people i know that when i said im not female they said 'but you are because you have the body'. Its pretty aweful we face this. I hope it gets better for you and for the other people here, and hopefully one day when you tell her she will understnad :slight_smile:

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate gendered things like that (unless I can be a male, of course!). Sorry you had to grit your teeth at your friend's comment.