1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice woes.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DoriaN, Dec 4, 2014.

1. DoriaN

Typical concern, I'm paranoid about my voice.

I defn think it's coming along, I mean the way I speak is clearly female and I can make my voice high enough, I just want to resonate and sound proper.

It's really hard for me to practice since I don't get much opportunity to... I would LOVE to be able to sing and belt tunes, rocking out to Lady Marmalade! Buahah.

Anyways, I was curious if anyone knew something or someone to imitate. I try to find songs with female singers or even male singers but even though I can play instruments like the violin or guitar I feel tone deaf without a guide.

It's also super depressing that such an integral part can make or break you instantly for passing.

Half vent half help topic Dx

Like, my fear is that I'm talking to some boys online, and of course they want to chat (I do too!) but I'm suuuper scared. Like I know in small portions I pass but I'm worried about talking for long sets. It gets awkward having to make up excuses EVEN if they are legitimate as to why I don't want to talk right now.

Thankfully my mic is broken so I don't have to lie, but I want to get a new one and what then? I spent a decent amount of time reading and looking at videos, but I guess I'm waiting for that moment where it 'clicks'. Where I have that epiphany and can go ham with my new vocals..

I mean, for someone who LOVES to chat, I can't chat =[

Maybe I'll see if I can upload a voice clip, and then you guys could critique. Idk how I could do that though...

2. Manta

Singing is a really good way to work on vocal training. Show tunes - musical theater pieces - are great for that. "My Fair Lady" has a lot of great songs, and it's a show about how the way people speak influences how other perceive them, and how they perceive themselves, with a bit of comedy and romance thrown in for good measure. There is a movie for it I would recommend watching if you haven't already.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Oh, I love show tunes! yes, work with them!

4. DoriaN

Mhmm.

Like, I was told I want to essentially push my voice into my head, and speak near the front of my mouth, as if right where my teeth are.

It seems to work alright, but sometimes I feel it's too nasally or there's like... Some sort of 'filter' making my voice sound less genuine.

Like, imagine taking your picture and then using instragram. A filter like that, where it's close but not 100% the genuine thing.

I know I'm close, and I'm told my voice hovers around andro/female, but I want 100% female. I feel like I'm too close to a Valley Girl, and I don't want to come across cheesy you know?

Like, this sucks ='[

Singing yeah, anyone know some powerful/good songs to sing along with? Preferably nothing too slow or instrumental, more upbeat.