1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a new name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Covalent, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Covalent

Covalent Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been out to my parents for a while now, a little over half a year, and I decided to finally choose a new name. I'm obviously the king of procrastination. With that being said, I'm also horrible at naming things. I can barely title an English paper properly, much less myself. Left to my own devices, I'd probably end up with one letter names for my first and middle. So here's where you come in, lovely people of Empty Closets! I'd love to have some name suggestions!

To give you a little gauge on what my tastes are, I'm a fan of those Old-English names that sound refined, gentlemanly and intelligent, but not overly pompous. I'm also not averse to more uncommon names, but I would like for it to have been used in the last 100 years. I'm also okay with unisex names, as long as it isn't one of those "unisex" names that ends up with a 90/10 male-female usage ratio. My last name starts with an M and it has two syllables. And, if you had any suggestions for middle names, It'd be excellent to have those too.

Thanks for your help, I truly am stumped!

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  3. Gengar

Hm... Bruce (Wayne! haha), Thaddeus, William, Irving, Aston, Bennett, Bradford, Franklin, Jameson, James. That should get you started. ^_^

4. antibinary

I find choosing something that sounds like a more male version of your old name works well. It helps you to feel like it's you.

5. processingerror

Hey hey, you sound so much like me there. What i did was ask my mum what names she would have picked for me 'if i was a boy' (yeah still not out) and see if liked her names. Then i asked my friends to make a list of names each that where nice and would suit me. They where happy to, so after brousing oznline for a few weeks, i made a nice list and slowly crossed out the ones i didnt want, and now i am lefyt with four.

6. GreyArchery

I use this site a lot Behind the Name: Meaning of Names, Baby Name Meanings. It covers different countries and cultures, along with literature/religion. Plus you can search by meaning, or even by gender - including unisex!

As for me, I'm a fan of Alistair, Dorian, Jonas/Jonah, and Keirnan.

I'm with Covalent as well - ask your parents what they had in mind if you were born a boy. Sometimes they have something good already picked out, or at least be able to get you thinking in a new direction.

7. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Allistair, Simeon, Emmett, Nathaniel, Damen? I dunno, just try and find something that feels right :slight_smile: Maybe even use a name of a favourite character or celebrity, or look into your ancestry and name yourself after someone :slight_smile: Good luck xx

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    Names

You don't have to go with their opinion to set you apart... if you like a name, I'd say stick to it :slight_smile:

(*hug*)