1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my family think im a lesbian :/

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by processingerror, Dec 6, 2014.

1. processingerror

So yeah, ive been expressing myself masculinely, and luckily i feel i pass okay, i often appear agender but still male a lot of the time, so its okay. I am a neutral person in myself but i do see myself as male, i havent told my family but i know they think (havent asked me about it but they dont really know what subtle is) im a lesbian. Hey, if i was a lesbian then cool, but im a guy so its been annoying me. I dont want them to think if me as a lesbian, but im not ready to tell them the truth. They also think i have a 'fetish' but im actually pans, so yeah same situation there really. Is there any advise you could offer or similar experiences to tell? Also coming out tips too, personal expeirences. Thanks :slight_smile:

2. Covalent

Covalent Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, if th don't quite understand what you are, you could search up a few pamflets made for explaining gender identity to people who simply don't know what it is. I suggest doing the same with your sexuality. I hope everything goes smoothly, dear friend.

3. Manta

My parents are the same!

I'm not ready to be out to them about gender, but it can get a bit annoying and awkward sometimes. I don't know why being lesbian would be considered a fetish though...

4. Acm

Acm Guest

My parents both thought I was a lesbian before I came out. I'm pretty sure the rest of my family does too, except my brother, who thinks I'm asexual (what I want to know is why everyone else is debating my sexuality so much :confused:) The only way to really fix it is to come out, unless they ask you in which case you can tell them

5. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah its pretty annoying, before I started coming out as queer in the gender sense I had trouble getting people to take me being bi seriously. People just assume that I haven't made up my mind or that I'm playing the field or something.And now when I explain about my gender to people I get the feeling they just think its a "gay thing". When really the two are not connected at all. :confused::bang:

When I came out to my parents I started out by coming out as bi because I thought it would be easier for them to understand and then I said that I was also questioning my gender identity (at that point I hadn't decided on genderqueer as the appropriate label for myself). But then they just assumed that I was coming out as gay and reacted kinda badly to the gender stuff, I think they just think I'm confused.

So yeah, my advice would be to maybe leave your sexuality and gender identity for two different conversations to avoid confusing people. Awkward as it can be to have to come out twice. Hope it goes well! (*hug*) Whenever I come out to new people I'm always surprised at how welcoming they are, but I have pretty good friends so I'm lucky (&&&)

6. stormborn

yeah, my friends that i'm not out to yet have been dropping hints for months about me being lesbian... i just try to drop hints about the fact that i am into dudes, and hope it all goes away when i come out to them.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

When I came out to my mom she asked whether I was attracted to men or women, so I told her then. Most people at school think I'm a lesbian too. The friend that I hang out with the most is bi, and I've openly mentioned men I find attractive to her, but she always makes comments about me being asexual or a lesbian, even though I've told her I'm neither. She has made a few jokes about me being a gay man though, so I can't tell what she thinks of me.

8. processingerror

Thanks for all your answers, they helped a lot. My family always joke about it but it really bugs me. And to answer the previous question, they didnt think i had a fetish from thinking i was a lesbian, that came from somethig else which is a long and awkward story :slight_smile: