1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were you ever denied therapy because you are apparently "not trans?"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quiet Raven, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

Just something that has been on my mind for a little while. I have done some research on Hormone Replacement Therapy. Something I would like to do eventually. But there is something I read about that concerns me.

I have heard that therapists tend to want you to prove you are trans before allowing things like that. What if I can't prove it? What if my communication skills fail me? And I am denied? Has anything like this happened to any of you? Or have you heard of it happening? And for those who are on hrt, how did you "prove" it?

2. Angelus

Angelus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have heard they do ask you a lot of " why and how would you feel if" Q's...

But rightfully so. HRT has some irreversible effects and they want to not get sued cause a cis gendered person thought they might be trans, but turn out not to be and theyre stuck with hair everywhere and a deep voice forever.

Or men are stuck with boobs and high voice.

But rest assured, if you are really trans gender, it comes easily .

I am going to undergo the same treatment soon to a therapist. But it might help if you have someone go with you and help explain your situation if you are to nervous to yourself.

The most Common Q I have heard a therapist ask is,

Do you dream like a man or a woman?

MY honest A... A man :slight_smile:

3. Quiet Raven

I see.

I actually more frequently dream as a man. But there were times I dreamt as a woman. And honestly, those did stand out as my more enjoyable ones, lol. And then I woke up really depressed....

4. juliegt6

My first therapist was awful and I think hasn't received any literature newer than 1960. There were "right" answers. I went three appointments until I got hrt referral and then never went to see that idiot again. I don't feel that my gender issues really need therapy. I'm trans, I've transitioned, and my gender issues are well managed.

If your therapist is awful, find another one. There are plenty of them out there.

5. Hexagon

I never mentioned my genderqueerness during assessment to get hormones and so forth, as I was deeply concerned that I'd be denied access. There were other things I kept to myself as well.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious. What does "dream like a (wo)man mean"?

Who you envision yourself as? Who your sexual partners are?

7. Quiet Raven

When you sleep. Who are you in your dreams?

8. juliegt6

Honestly, I don't know how much our dreams matter. I've had a recurring dream I was my house cat, and odd one offs like a potato and an end table.

9. Quiet Raven

LOL. Well that settles it. You identify as a potato. Dreams don't lie!

What's it like being a potato or an end table?

#9 Quiet Raven, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  10. wolf of fire

I never dream as either, I don't see myself in my dreams only my point of view. As for the original question: it may be possible you are denied it but if you are than just see different people until you are.

11. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure where you live, but in my area there is a place in one of the bigger cities that offers HRT with "informed consent", meaning that you sign a form after the doctor educates you about HRT and its effects and you're good to go. I think that's all there is to it. It's what my girlfriend did, and it was a fairly painless process for her. I would look into that if you're concerned about therapists being difficult with you.

12. Porter

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm horrible at lying and I would love to get professional help/advice on my gender identity, but I'm afraid my indecision/genderqueer-ness will make them deny me hormones :T

13. juliegt6

Not bad. They weren't nightmares, so likely positive experiences, but I don't remember much.

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My therapist just made sure that this was really what I wanted to do. That's what gender therapists should do, help you make the decision to do something that will alter your body in ways that are not easily reversed.

My therapist just asked how long I had been feeling like I was trans. She also asked how I felt when I was uncomfortable about my gender, and how that effected my everyday life.

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Likewise, though I mentioned it to my same therapist a few times after I received hormones.

It's sad, but even mentioning the possibility of being enby can result in denial of access to healthcare.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was screwed over by therapists before.

One still wasn't getting the picture, even after having to educate her. One was trying to come off as understanding, but came off as being ableist and blamed my depression on me--or that's how I see it. The one I've been seeing, as Brad put it, wanted to make sure that transition is something I really wanted and how long I've felt the way I do.

As far as being genderqueer or non-binary goes, a youtuber who is a gender therapist made a video on the subject matter--and if I remember correctly, people who aren't on the binary can still get on the HRT train.

17. FightingShadows

The first therapist I went to didn't know much about gender issues but I went to her anyway figuring she could still help me because she had another transgender client. I gave her a chance thinking maybe it wouldn't be so bad, that we could sort of learn off each other. But it was a bad idea. She pretty much told me I wasn't trans because in order for me to be trans, I should want to be on hormones and I didn't (and still don't) feel the need to be at this point in my life. She kept pushing it on me because to her, you weren't trans if you weren't dead set about being on hormones. When I told her not all trans people go on hormones, she totally disregarded me. So, that was the end of that and I haven't been to anyone since (pretty hard to find gender therapists around my area)

18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My therapist seems to want to actually help me get hormones, and he hasn't yet questioned my transness. We're discussing a lot of not gender-specific things in therapy right now, because he feels it's important that we address not only my gender-based discomfort, but my other issues as well (of which there are several). Because hormones will change a lot of things, but if some of my discomforts are based elsewhere, hormones won't fix them.

Basically, he doesn't want me to end up disappointed if I start therapy as a female bodied individual with anxiety and introverted tendencies, and leave as a masculine bodied individual with anxiety and introverted tendencies. And I think that's fair.