1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That un controllable smile when you are called by your preferred name/pronoun

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JustJJx, Dec 7, 2014.

1. JustJJx

Right so i told my room-mates i might be trans MTF earlier this week and they have been nothing but supportive, the only trouble they are having is calling me Blythe instead of JJ...they'll say JJ and quickly tale off into Blythe or just forget :frowning2: But it's only natural right? They've known me for a year of JJ, so it'll take time i guess :/

But when they got it right first time tonight i genuinely felt warm and good inside and couldn't help but smile ^_^

Anyone have experiences like this? Also, any tips on not getting upset if they call me JJ by accident? :/

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you're talking about! (*hug*)

One time, I was on a run with one of my friends, and this guy said "looking good, ladies!"

I just about died. ^^

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No one calls me by male pronouns offline. But whenever it happens here on EC, I grin. :grin:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's nice when people do. Trans friends do, and people in public, but in my personal life don't call me she or her. Mostly because they are used to "he".

Thank god my name is gender neutral.

5. Quiet Raven

Same. Well except for it is female.
    At the stage I am at right now though in transition, as in, well... stage 0. I feel it would just be wierd for anyone to start calling me she. Since I look quite masculine.

However, my preferred name is gender neutral. But no one really uses it yet, still.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're still allowed to ask people you know to respect the feminine pronoun. (*hug*)

7. Quiet Raven

I suppose. But I think even I would feel more comfortable if we wait until I look more feminine.

Yeah, I like it when I'm online, but when I imagine the people I know saying it, the way I look right now... It just seems weird. But when finally do transition it would be awesome! :slight_smile:

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same, I still look quite feminine. However, I have started dressing in men's clothes 50% of the time. That's the only step I've taken, really. If my mom would just let me cut my hair, I might even be able to pass. But with waist long, thick, beautiful hair? Nope. Plus, without T I will always have this baby face that looks pretty feminine.

9. Raatox

Yeah, it's awesome! I asked some friends to use male pronouns and a gender neutral name last weekend, and i was so extremely happy everything they got it right, though I know they struggles.

Although, I can't go around and hug everyone who says right, It might seems a bit wierd, and not very manly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

My mother has been switching back and forth from male pronouns and female ones.

The good thing is is she doesn't see me as a girl anymore. But still, occasional female pronoun.. And always female pronouns when we're out. Which is just not right.

But when I am referred to correctly....
    Ah~ it is amazing

11. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that feeling. Sometimes, i have some classmates who dont know my preffered pronoun that accidentally call me it by accident. A smie escapes from my lips, and when they apologize, i tell them its alright. But usually they switch it over to male after they say it, which sucks. :frowning2:

12. DoriaN

Makes sense and I agree 100%

I would/did feel the same. I think it's the norm.

13. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I've just started hearing it in my real life for the first time recently, and when my sister calls me Elissa it sounds weird, but when she says I'm her little sister my heart leaps with joy! She does occasionally drop the wrong pronoun by accident and I just want to yell "Watch the pronouns!" At her but I know it's not going to be easy, it's just that well, hearing the wrong pronouns from someone who knows really kind of messes with you I guess... It's like, I can handle "he" from people who have no idea, but when you do know my secret the most hurtful thing you can do is call me "he." x_x Again I understand it's an adjustment... It's just ugh... The nice couple she introduced me to though are great, the call me she and Elissa as naturally as if I was cis, they even introduced me to a friend of theirs as "Miqui's little sister Elissa," without even the slightest pause. Don't get me wrong though, my sister has been FANTASTICALLY supportive and helpful, just needs to check her pronouns sometime, I think it's like a bad habit for people who've known you as the other you. xD

14. Ryujin

My online friends call me Lexi and that's really nice, and they use female pronouns (though they sometimes slip and I quickly correct the them and don't hold it against them. And this feels great and right.
    Offline though, when I look at myself and call myself those names, I don't feel real, like, I don't understand how someone female can be in my body and it just makes me uncomfortable to be reminded that I'm stuck. Maybe if I looked more feminine it would be nicer.

15. JustJJx

*big hugs for Lexi* I'm in the same mindspace as you hun, i just look in the mirror at my very male body and just sigh...but when i'm called Blythe with no corrections it's great ^_^
    Maybe start with some unisex clothing and work your way up? thats what i'm doing!

16. Acm

Acm Guest

I feel the same way. I feel like no one would take me seriously like that, and that it would feel weird since I don't really pass. I go by male pronouns and Max online, and I love it. I wish I could ask people to change but I feel like it would be really hard for them to do. At least my mom has (mostly) stopped calling me "girl" all the time

17. Ryujin

I'm going to try and get some unisex clothing at some point... But... Need to be able to get to a clothes shop first.

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling. Happens on the phone all the time. I find it's worse when someone knows how I'd prefer to be gendered, accidentally misgenders me, then awkwardly corrects themselves. (I was shopping, dressed feminine, but I know I wasn't really passing. See the pic in my profile. It was a very windy day, and I was having a hard time managing my hair)

19. processingerror

I have a super baby face too, luckily contouring helps until the day i might get hormones. Never had the hair problem though caus it started to fall out when i was sick, so i had it cut off, my mum cried for four hours (it took a long time to cut and style around my missing patches). I tried to groe it back as a test but it got to my shoulders and i just had to get it cut off again, so it did :slight_smile: i feel bad about your position with your hair, but have you thought about getting a natural short wig? :/

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though I pass a lot of the time now, I still smile when I am referred to as being male. It feels good to finally be seen as who you are.