1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost there...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Worlock, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I finally found a first name for myself: Morley! It represents fragments of my past, and it combines the sounds of my given name (which contains the "Lee" sound) and my cherished nickname (Mord).

I'm trying to decide on a last name and middle name. The middle name isn't as important to me right now (at least until the paperwork begins...!), but last-name-wise I am choosing between Andrews (related to my family's original surname; I like it but I feel like it "runs together" with Morley having the y-sound at the end... I may be crazy) and Curtis (a name very personal to me that is a musical reference few will probably recognize; I also really love how it sounds with Morley). I thought of using something like "Black", as well, but it is more of a running joke between one of my partners and I. I think my serious considerations are the first two.

Anyone on here take on a whole new surname? I'm not looking for distance between my family and I, but my 'rents are supportive of any decision I make so I feel I have the freedom to choose whatever I wish.

Also I apologize if I shared too much personal information.

2. JustJJx

I like my last name, i would only change it if my parents disowned me if it does turn out that i'm trans. Share as much as you want Morley x

Hope you figure something out, best of luck!!

3. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much! For me it's more of a matter of finding what feels right if that makes sense. I'm lucky enough to have a family that supports me, even if they don't always understand what I'm going through. :thumbsup:

4. JustJJx

Exactly, it's all about what you are comfortable with ^_^
    Awww thats great to hear! *hugs*

5. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My journey is coming nearer to a close, but here's my process for choosing my surname so far:

Curtis: means "courteous", is off-handedly a reference to one of my favorite bands, and sounds really good with Morley and isn't at all difficult to pronounce. It's also a reference to a fictional character who is the flipside of what "Morley" was in his fictional form. The only drawback is that this surname is not family-related at all, so people may assume I'm trying to create distance. (I'm not)

Andrews: shortened version of my current surname, but doesn't have much of a meaningful meaning to me. Not sure if I like how it meshes with Morley; sounds like it kind of runs together? I have a hard time telling.

Vanderkarr: a family surname from my mother's side from a cousin she was quite fond of. I like it, but I feel weird using it because I think its original Dutch form is Van der Karr and I'm not sure if mashing it into one word (similarly to Vanderbilt) would be somehow disrespecting its original form.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on aesthetic or function in relation to these name choices, I'd be glad to hear it. I've been really anxious about it lately because I haven't decided yet.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ian Curtis, Joy Division, that band before New Order? I still listen to Closer from time to time...

Name sounds good.

7. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YES. Ian Curtis's lyrics always really inspired me. Joy Division and New Order are awesome.

8. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really like the sound of Morley Curtis. I dunno Morley has a..."softer" feel I guess while Curtis feels...sharp and putting them together is pleasing to my ears. If ANY of that made sense. :grin: I also don't think you really need a middle name to go with it though when you're thinking about it I'd suggest a single syllable middle name. Just my two cents!

9. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's kind of my thought as well; Curtis sounds very crisp. And, yeah, not sure on a middle name yet. I kind of figured it'd just come to me once the first/last names are finalized. I suppose some people don't have a middle name, though!