1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"repressed extroverted" transgender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Raatox

I found this article The Repressed Extrovert | Reid Vanderburgh, MA., LMFT.
    Really interesting.

I've always considered myself an introvert, as long as i can remember i've been a loner and prefered being alone and played always alone when i was younger, preferably with soft toys and pretending games.
    But i've longed for company and act quite extroverted in some situations, but i dont really let people come near me.

One thing i've doubted about me being trans is that i didn't play with guys, or guy stuff when i was a kid. I just was an extreme loner. Sat under tables and didn't speak, and, just thought other kids were annoying.

But this maybe explains it.

Can anyone relate? :slight_smile:

2. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can relate. It makes sense and explains a lot about me too.

I can't tell if I am introvert or extrovert. I live like an extreme introvert and I am happy this way but when I am with people they often think I am very extroverted. I am talkative and funny. I am the life of the party. I don't even need to know anyone. I can be like that with total strangers. But then I never actually feel lonely although I am alone a lot. I do everything alone and prefer it that way. Most of the time I just want to hide and I need loneliness. When I was a child I wasn't really interested about other kids. I just wanted to be left alone. I remember thinking that others always caused trouble. I am usually still like this. This confuses me and others as well. I really go from extreme to extreme. It's hard to get to know me.

Lately I have taken steps towards transitioning and that has done something to me. I want to come out of my hideout and really live among other people. I am not so afraid anymore. My body language has changed from really reserved to more relaxed. People have noticed and told me. Just knowing that this state I am in is temporary, that others will also see me as a man some day, has affected greatly. I am still confused and I still hide but things are changing. Maybe I really am not that introvert after all.

3. processingerror

Yeah definately, i only started epressing myself about a year ago. Still not there yet though :slight_smile:

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have become a lot more extroverted since I came out as trans. Before, I was usually quiet and did my own thing most of the time. I have to admit though, it has been weird going from being introverted to being extroverted.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

This sounds like it could be me. I've always considered myself an introvert, I'm not very social, I spend a lot of my time alone. But I've also wondered in the past if I was actually an extrovert with self-confidence issues. I don't really like being alone all the time, and when I am around people I tend to try to dominate the conversation and I try to goof off to entertain people, I like having a lot of attention. But I feel awkward and self-conscious around other people so I'm generally pretty introverted. I've wondered before if transitioning might get rid of some of my problems with socializing, but I never want to get my hopes up in case it doesn't. This really sounds like me though.

6. Manta

One of the things people get confused a lot are shy/outgoing and intro/extrovert. Shy pertains to social anxiety as opposed to where you get your energy from. You can be a shy extrovert, or an outgoing introvert, or anything in-between. The "repressed extrovert" sounds like a reference to extremely shy extroverts, which makes a lot of sense. I don't know if I'm an introvert or repressed extrovert yet though... I've always identified myself as an introvert but can relate to a lot of what everyone's said here.

7. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    This actually gives me a lot to think about. I've considered myself an introvert for quite a few years now, but I know that as a child I was extremely extroverted... And I know my sociability (if that's the right word) changed drasticallly around age 10 or 11... There's a lot pointing to me maybe being a repressed extrovert according to this article's definition of what a repressed extrovert is. Hm. A lot to think about indeed.

8. Covalent

Covalent Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It worked the opposite for myself. Presenting female, I always felt the need to overcompensate or to hide my true personality and identity, so I would act very extroverted and energetic. When I'm uncomfortable, I find it easier to act like I'm not than to shy away from the situation. In the presence of people who accept me as male, or just in the presence of guys that treat me like any other guy, I am very calm and semi-introverted. It's quite an interesting phenomenon, how we present ourselves to the world, both behaviorally and physically. It changes so much once you become who you truly are.

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is very interesting and makes me question whether I'm an introvert at all. But that question can be answered after I find out about my gender.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge introvert. But I've come out of my shell, so to speak, after coming out.