1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out on facebook

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ctrl alt delete, Dec 9, 2014.

1. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys,

So I've been thinking recently of coming out on facebook. :slight_smile: I changed my gender identity on their a while ago anyway and I've come out to most of my close friends. I'm thinking I might limit some of the people who can see the post anyway. Has anyone done this before? anyone have any advice? :help: I'm thinking of keeping it short and sweet and just telling people to message me for more info.

Thanks! :kiss:(*hug*)

2. processingerror

I havent done it but i think its a good idea :slight_smile:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's pretty popular way of sort of coming out nowadays

4. WillowRose

I created a list of friends who I knew were going to be allies (I called it "Allies" -- go figure), and limit my posts where I gripe about transition and stuff to be visible to that list. So far it has worked well.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever floats your boat. I just said "screw it" and changed everything, went offline for 24 hours and waited to see if anyone said or reacted to it. I didn't get a single negative or awkward response.

6. shinji

shinji Guest

In my opinion, Facebook is not a good medium for expressing personal feelings. Often they go unnoticed and that can have a pretty serious impact on our psyche. I've found out that people generally do not care that much about such stuff, and are more interested in gossiping about what is currently trending. That being said, it's highly individual, depending on the friend you have on there. Still, even if i too did this myself, i would advice to lower your expectations on how (if at all) people would react.

7. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the support guys! @willowrose, I think I'll take your advice and make a list of the people I really want to tell rather than just make it all public. @shinji, I think your right, I will limit my expectations about what I will gain by it, but at the same time I just want to be as open as possible about it. If people don't reply or care that's their issue, I can only tell them how I feel about myself, not make them change their opinions.

8. WillowRose

Instead of saying, "so far it has worked well," I should have been more detailed. Truth is, What I got in response to my "Hey, I'm trans*" posts was a flood of love, support, and affirmation. Obviously, I had pre-selected my audience by posting to a custom list, but I was still absolutely floored by all the love.

That's what I meant by, "so far it has worked well." :slight_smile:

9. stormborn

i'm thinking of doing the same pretty soon. good luck to you!! :grin: