Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Gender Identity and Expression

Gender Identity and Expression A forum for support and advice about figuring out and expressing your gender identity. If you have concerns about coming out, please use the Coming Out Advice forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th Dec 2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Supreme Commander of the Gnerd Army

Orientation: People
Out Status: Out to everyone

Small Victories

Hi all, I have noticed a lot of "I've been called (desired pronoun)" to "I passed" and more.

So I'd like to start one where you report your little (or big) transgender successes today.

Yesterday day a woman came up to me and asked what the code to the locked women's bathroom was. I felt wonderful that she approached me. It was reaffirming to know I passed.

Later that day I went shopping and the cashier asked "is there anything else I can get you hun?"

Felt great.

Share your little daily victories here, I'm going to keep it going. Let's show the world!

"No one should have to live in darkness" - My two best friends
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Tai
The Clumsy One

Orientation: Everyone
Out Status: Some people

Re: Small Victories

I used the mens' room for the first time a few weeks ago. Unknowingly, haha. But my friend told me right after I was done (she was waiting outside for me) and even though I had no idea going in, it still felt good knowing I was in there. I probably wouldn't have gone in if I'd known, to tell the truth, because I don't pass at all.

Silly, but it's the only one I can think of right now.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Acm

Tournaments Won: 75

This was a few weeks ago, but I passed and got called sir . I didn't even think I was dressed very masculinely at the time so that was nice.

I can't think of very many right now, unfortunately I feel like I'm not in the position to do much in regards to transition, so I feel like I've sort of stagnated.
Old 11th Dec 2014, 09:32 PM   #4
EC Guardian

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Sexuality: Out, Gender: Partially Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acm View Post
This was a few weeks ago, but I passed and got called sir . I didn't even think I was dressed very masculinely at the time so that was nice.

I can't think of very many right now, unfortunately I feel like I'm not in the position to do much in regards to transition, so I feel like I've sort of stagnated.
Wow, that's really good though! ^_^

I only got ma'amed once in my life. That was when I was out running with my wonderful feminist running goddess friend M. As we passed by, a stranger said "looking good, ladies!" I melted and she gave me the biggest grin.

Kasey, this is such a wonderful thread, and you have really sweet ideas.
Old 11th Dec 2014, 09:49 PM   #5
drwinchester

I was buying a female health product and dark chocolate. I went up to the cash register and looked as flustered as possible. The male cashier looked at me, looked at the chocolate and item and said "it's gonna get better son."
Old 11th Dec 2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Oddish

I got sir'ed a few times a few days ago when I went out, though I hadn't shaved in a while, so that probably helped.

I think my biggest success, though, was looking in the mirror yesterday and finding myself rather handsome. Rarely do I think of myself in a positive light (in regards to appearance), but I felt good. I want to continue feeling this way, and actually believe when my girlfriend, or friends, compliment me, and accept those compliments. I refuse to be dysphoria's bitch.
Old 12th Dec 2014, 07:33 AM   #7
Queen in the North

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Friends and partner

The last two days have been big for me. I went shopping and openly browsed/bought female clothes (with the safety net that if I saw someone I knew, I could just be "christmas shopping for my sisters"). More importantly though, I've started to open myself up to the idea I might be trans, and can explore than part of me without feeling ashamed.
Old 12th Dec 2014, 08:18 AM   #8
Self Made Man

Orientation: Straight but curious
Out Status: I'm a stealth transman

I have been called a sir for the past 3-4 months. cx
Nylesthewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinchester View Post
I was buying a female health product and dark chocolate. I went up to the cash register and looked as flustered as possible. The male cashier looked at me, looked at the chocolate and item and said "it's gonna get better son."
How do you interpret that?

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoid68 View Post
The last two days have been big for me. I went shopping and openly browsed/bought female clothes (with the safety net that if I saw someone I knew, I could just be "christmas shopping for my sisters"). More importantly though, I've started to open myself up to the idea I might be trans, and can explore than part of me without feeling ashamed.
You're making a brave step out. Congratulations!

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylesthewolf View Post
I have been called a sir for the past 3-4 months. cx
*brofist*

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddish View Post
I got sir'ed a few times a few days ago when I went out, though I hadn't shaved in a while, so that probably helped.

I think my biggest success, though, was looking in the mirror yesterday and finding myself rather handsome. Rarely do I think of myself in a positive light (in regards to appearance), but I felt good. I want to continue feeling this way, and actually believe when my girlfriend, or friends, compliment me, and accept those compliments. I refuse to be dysphoria's bitch.
Wonderful feeling when others tell you things like that. My brother would never compliment me and when I showed him my female pics he's like "yo your mad pasty". Asshole brother bullshit... but he accepts me. My guy friends would never tell me that either. But some girl friends and trans friends do. One guy actually saw me who is a new friend and he said "I'd hit that". I took that as a compliment. Wonderful feeling again as I said.

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote:

These "little victories" are what keeps it going.

I'm not even on hormones and I get jealous of others who are. But people tell me I pass marvelously and from my last interactions in public it's not just people from EC.

Anyways when I get jealous I know I pass and others say I don't just pass but I'm "beautiful".

Keep your head up and keep piling up these wins.

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pret Allez View Post
Quote:

Wow, that's really good though! ^_^

I only got ma'amed once in my life. That was when I was out running with my wonderful feminist running goddess friend M. As we passed by, a stranger said "looking good, ladies!" I melted and she gave me the biggest grin.

Kasey, this is such a wonderful thread, and you have really sweet ideas.
I try. What were you wearing Adri (can I call you that? I have a girl who goes by that nickname in class)?

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 01:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
I used the mens' room for the first time a few weeks ago. Unknowingly, haha. But my friend told me right after I was done (she was waiting outside for me) and even though I had no idea going in, it still felt good knowing I was in there. I probably wouldn't have gone in if I'd known, to tell the truth, because I don't pass at all.

Silly, but it's the only one I can think of right now.
Even Albert Einstein made mistakes. And when he thought he was wrong he was actually right.

Part of passing is owning it. Yes appearance, but mannerisms and confidence also are a huge part. Own it lil bro.

Old 12th Dec 2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Queen in the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post

Thanks!
Old 12th Dec 2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Threadstarter

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

I was where you are now about a year ago. Look at me bow. Have faith in yourself.

Old 12th Dec 2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Queen in the North

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

I was where you are now about a year ago. Look at me bow. Have faith in yourself.
Thank you so much

Just out of interest, were you like I am now in not knowing for sure whether you were trans or not? I'm still grappling with the idea, let alone anywhere near coming out.
Old 12th Dec 2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Father of Dragons

Orientation: queer

i came out to my friend the other day. she's already switched names and pronouns as we've been texting each other.
Old 12th Dec 2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Threadstarter

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you so much

Just out of interest, were you like I am now in not knowing for sure whether you were trans or not? I'm still grappling with the idea, let alone anywhere near coming out.
I was justifying my existence as being female when it was conconvenient. I.E. I labeled myself as bigender.

Prior to that I just viewed myself as a closeted crossdresser who was too scared to look into my soul and admit that I was trans.

It was the time I realized that every time I threw away my dresses and heels and such that I came back to it. The feeling of wanting to be feminine and present myself to people online as female started to spill over into the real world where I started realizing I want this in reality and I'm not scared anymore of being who I want to be.

Ugh... i just realized that stupid autocorrect in my last post.

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
i came out to my friend the other day. she's already switched names and pronouns as we've been texting each other.
Nice I wish people would do that with me.

Old 12th Dec 2014, 01:31 PM   #15
Is it a boy or a girl? No.

Orientation: Queer
Out Status: Out as fuck

4 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 31

Quote:
Quote:
How do you interpret that?
It's a reference to the stereotype of women being hard to live with when they have their periods. Byron appeared to be buying the product for his girlfriend, and the cashier felt sorry for him.
Old 12th Dec 2014, 01:49 PM   #16
Queen in the North

Quote:

I was justifying my existence as being female when it was convenient. I.E. I labeled myself as bigender.

Prior to that I just viewed myself as a closeted crossdresser who was too scared to look into my soul and admit that I was trans.
Wow, that is eerily similar to my experience. I too have been searching for alternative "easier" gender identities. That's interesting to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Ugh... i just realized that stupid autocorrect in my last post.
No worries, I knew what you meant :P
Old 12th Dec 2014, 03:26 PM   #17
Well Known

Orientation: Probably Bi
Out Status: most people

Since last weekend i've asked a large part of my commynuty to use my androgynous (but more male) name and male pronouns, and i think they manage quite well. They say right quite often, and everytime im so increddibly happy
REPEAT
Raatox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2014, 03:59 PM   #18
drwinchester

He thought I was buying it for my girlfriend. And it was a certain test because I was having some weird medical issues and the clinic I had gone to a month ago suggested I take that test just to be careful. So lo and behold, I throw some chocolate in to make it look like I'm a concerned boyfriend and the cashier thinks I might have knocked up my girlfriend.

My partner and I are not dads, thank god.
Old 12th Dec 2014, 04:32 PM   #19
Threadstarter

Quote:
He thought I was buying it for my girlfriend. And it was a certain test because I was having some weird medical issues and the clinic I had gone to a month ago suggested I take that test just to be careful. So lo and behold, I throw some chocolate in to make it look like I'm a concerned boyfriend and the cashier thinks I might have knocked up my girlfriend.

Ran the old distract them with chocolates huh?

Tell me you at least ate the chocolate too.

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2014 at 07:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raatox View Post
Since last weekend i've asked a large part of my commynuty to use my androgynous (but more male) name and male pronouns, and i think they manage quite well. They say right quite often, and everytime im so increddibly happy
See, another feel good post. All of these successes make me have faith in the future.

Old 12th Dec 2014, 06:14 PM   #20
drwinchester

Quote:
Quote:

Ran the old distract them with chocolates huh?

Tell me you at least ate the chocolate too.
Did indeed. And it was delicious. Sadly, I ate the entire thing of Godiva dark chocolate in one sitting and soundly regretted it.