1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I said my old name :(

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Calix, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Calix

Yesterday evening and today at work was stressful. My co-worker managed to make that stress worse and at the same time my phone rang. I picked up and answered on autopilot ... Except I didn't say '-- department, Alex speaking' . I said my old name D:

Luckily the person just found it funny when I corrected myself but I felt so shocked/embarrassed/dysphoric the instant it happened. Has this ever happened to any of you? If so how did you deal with the potential fall out? The same co-worker was there and she's made clear her ignorance/skepticism without having to voice much. (the dumbest thing she's said to date is that bisexual and transgender people are the same -.-;:wink:.

The call was for me to run to a meeting room and fix IT issues. I had to catch a min in the corridor to stop myself having a breakdown!

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sucks.

I'm actually quite blessed to have a unisex name. If my actual name was like John I'd be... well much more dysphoric.

/hugs

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just give yourself a break.
    We all might slip up sometimes.

You might do a few mental exercises... connecting positive feelings with Alex...

(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. stormborn

don't worry, it happens to me all the time. i've fucked up my own name countless times. i find it more funny than anything, so i don't really have much advice, because i usually just laugh it off... but you definitely aren't alone in it.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It happened to me once and man, did I feel so stupid.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It almost happened to me. I mean, think about it. Your birth name used to be your default response. It happens.

7. processingerror

I do that a lot, and accidently refer to myself as 'she' when thinking from anothers perspectibe of what they would say. I guess it just takes time.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still do this sometimes. It sucks when you do it. I have done it less and less with time though. It just takes some getting used too I guess.

9. Calix

I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only who messes up :slight_smile: I just hope my co-worker doesn't use it as some 'evidence' I was wrong about myself >.>;;