1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Sure What to Do About an Androgynous Identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LadyRedRover, Dec 12, 2014.

1. LadyRedRover

Hello there!

I have an androgynous gender identity. However, due to genetics, I have large breasts and thighs which undeniably label me as being a biological female. Not that there's anything wrong with being female, but sometimes it bothers me when I ask people to use 'they' pronouns or try to explain my identity and I get comments on 'But of course you're female!' or 'You do know that androgyny is a fashion trend, right?'

The main thing that bothers me is that in order to 'present' as an androgynous person, the consensus seems to be that DFAB people must make themselves more 'masculine'. While I have a binder(I'm hoping to get a better quality one soon) and am currently working out to achieve a healthier and less feminine shape, it seems like every advice blog I go to suggests 'masculinizing' when I don't want to 'look' particularly masculine or feminine. I just want to appear as neither male or female.

I also have considered getting top surgery for a more androgynous appearance(I've dreamed of being able to walk around shirtless and without breasts for several years now), however I don't know if that is even an option for people who have an androgynous identity, especially ones that don't want to go on T or get bottom surgery.

I would really appreciate any information that anyone could give me.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why not looking what style you're comfortable with ?
    You might think about sweaters one or two sizes bigger... unisex trousers... a hairstyle you like...

There are a few tips for ftm here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gende...pful-informative-threads-gender-identity.html
    just saying this so you can have a look at it... and simply pick what you like...they talk about what makes a feminine or masculine look, so you might pick comfortably something in the middle...

(*hug*)

3. LadyRedRover

Thanks a lot! :grin: I'll definitely check this out ^_^

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I'm not mistaken, us Androgynous people retain the "right" to get surgery. However, at least in America, we have to go to gender therapists and doctors to get approval. It's sad…

In my case, I've been taken natural testosterone from diet, supplements that strengthen my bones and bee pollen, which is nutrient dense and has made adults who take it grow. Everyday, I grow. I've gone through so many clothing sizes in a rather short period of time. It's wonderful. I'm very happy about that. Now, if I could get enough testosterone that would change my features. At one point, my features were really sharp. I was actually rather handsome. People still called me a female, though. I really want to look androgynous in my face, but its taking time. It's like being Cinderella, still at the ball at 12 o'clock, if I don't stay diligent with my diet. The magic runs dry.

5. LadyRedRover

@PlantSoul

Thank you for the reply! I had heard that we have the right to surgery, but that it's very rare for doctors to give the go-ahead for androgynes because we don't feel dysphoria as badly(or at all, in some cases) as a trans*person would.

A lot of my diet has natural testosterone boosters(such as broccoli) but I haven't made that a focus of my diet...any chance you could let me know what you eat? I'll see about getting bee pollen, since I love the taste in my coffee but I'm unsure of where to go. A health food store, maybe?

Luckily, I have a more androgynous face than most(I need to get my hormones checked because I suspect I have naturally high testosterone) however, I'm having a lot of problems with my body shape. I'm hoping this will get better as I lose weight though :slight_smile:

#5 LadyRedRover, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014