1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bathrooms...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chriswe, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Chriswe

Okay, I'm going to Florida for 3 weeks and this problem just popped up in my head. "What bathroom am I going to use?" I know this is a problem for most trans* people.

I'm mostly a guy stuck in a female (but thankfully kind of androgynous looking) body, and I think I kind of pass as male if I'm trying.
    If I go to the female bathrooms, I'm afraid the women there might get a little freaked out (I got some weird looks last time I tried), but if I go to the male's and there are no cubicles, what will I do?
    I really don't go out much when I'm home here in Sweden, so this is kind of a new problem for me.

I guess I could go to every neutral bathroom I see in hope of not having to chose, but it seems a bit unrealistic. I don't know, what do you guys think?

2. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if there's a gender neutral one use it! if not like me if i'am more girl that day i use the girls bathroom, of more guy that day then i use the guys bathroom

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I've gotten weird looks in the women's room before too, but I figure if I don't pass all the way, it could be dangerous to use the men's room. I've heard stories of guys getting assaulted in there before, so be careful I guess.

4. Ashridge

Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on how well you pass, really. For example, I have a DFAB genderqueer but mostly masculine friend who passes quite well, so they've been using men's washrooms for a while without any problems. Otherwise, sticking to neutral ones would probably be your best bet.

5. DoriaN

I thought all men's washrooms had stalls?

Like, I thought the fundamental difference between the two was they both had stalls but only 1 had urinals.

Regardless I do understand your awkwardness, I guess you would have to choose the 'lesser evil'.

Getting looks or stares in the women's room would be uncomfortable and would identify you to others as female, which if you can stomach it for the trip then do not worry imo.

If you're fine presenting and being treated and read as male, just enter the men's!
    IF for whatever reason there are no stalls (How do guys go boom boom then ;_:wink:, leave and find a different location (Since crossing immediately into the women's will look super sus).

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, most guys' bathroom have stalls. Only exceptions are usually places are bars. But I find no one really pays me mind when I use men's rooms. Try gender neutral if possible, should be a lot of family bathrooms if you're in an especially touristy area (I lived in Orlando, Florida for 12 years).

7. NotSureWhatIam

I'm not sure about the cultural differences, however from what I hear Sweden is more open sexually than the US. I have never seem a public stall in the US, much less the south, without stalls. I wouldn't be worried about it. Neutral restrooms are popping up more commonly too.

8. processingerror

hey chris, i have the same problem. I'd suggest.looking fir gender neutral toilets etc whereever possible. but i usually just use female incase i dont pass so well :/ but really its whatever one you want to and feel you can use :slight_smile:

9. Nylesthewolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I have had the mall security called on me when I passed better than I thought and used the womens, so if you have someone who can give you a second opinion, that's what I'd suggest.