1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to come out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hii, Dec 13, 2014.

1. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've known I was trans for... 8 months now? My friend has taken to calling me by a guy name I came up with and "he" in front of everyone at school without my permission. I get questioned for it and it's pretty uncomfortable. I'm thinking about telling her to stop for a while.

I just don't know when to come out. I think I'd rather present as a male, but presenting as a female is just... safe. I'm even scared of making friends with guys because I worry that they'll find me too feminine and not accept me (unless it's as a "girlfriend"). I worry that I won't be able to "be" a proper guy.

I don't know where I'm going with this. Just... for those of you who are out, when did you come out? When is it time?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out right before the start of a semester at college. This gave me time to email my professors, contact residence services, and find some resources to help me as I began my transition. So, maybe you could do something like this? It would be worth talking to the administration in your school to see how they handle transgender people.

As for knowing that it was time emotionally, I just realized that I felt suffocated since I was living as female everyday. It was starting to interfere a ton with my day to day activities. So, I realized that I needed to do something about it.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

not until YOU are ready and comfortable AND feel safe!!! don't let anyone force you out on their time table. this is very personal, and you're friend needs to understand that. ask them to respect your wishes.