1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transphobic comments

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RainbowGreen, Dec 13, 2014.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Today, I was at a place for teens. I was with a friend of mine who knows I'm trans. A girl started talking about how she met a transwoman when she was shopping how weird it was that ''he'' talked to her. I asked her why and she replied ''Are you transsexual?'' I preferred to keep my mouth shut but I was really annoyed at the comments they all made afterwards.

-''They go through all the money (it's covered by the assurances here, ignoramus) and trouble JUST to change sex!''
    -''They're men-women.''
    -''It's as if you cut of your dick, for example.''

Makes me want to give them a trans 101 course next time... Even if I have to out myself. Anyway, I already transitioned.

Sorry for the rant, I just wish I did more to defend my peers :dry:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that you were probably better off not mentioning something about it right then, because then that would seem more confrontational.It's probably best that you have some time to cool down before you say anything to them.

If you want to educate them, you could always print out some information for them, and then explain to them how the comments that they were saying are offensive. There is the chance that you could end up outing yourself with this though.

It's frustrating, but it is important to take a step back and decide what action would be best for the situation at the time. I think that by not saying anything at the moment, you did the right thing.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I think I'll say something next time (If they ever talk about trans people again). I just don't feel it's right to let this kind of thing get around in highschools because I went through that bullshit and it was hell. I can't imagine what a transgirl would feel if she heard her friends say that.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't blame you for that. It's just important to remember your safety while doing that. :slight_smile:

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's terrible. >.< I sometimes hear transphobic comments from my mom, and it really irritates me.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People are dense and stupid.

Someone I went to school with made a very transphobic series of comments supposedly over her ex being in a relationship with a transwoman. I remember making a passive status about it and an old friend assumed someone was being a bigot towards me.

7. juliegt6

Correct! You need to practice and have muscle memory! You need to take off the safety smoothly during the draw like it's second nature.

People suck and sometimes I just let life kick their ass. I'm ten years out of high school and I sickly do take pleasure in that most of the jerks suck hard at life now. The ones who don't suck usually stopped being jerks. Karma seems to be achieving a record seeing batting average from what I've seen!

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, but I don't really think my safety is on the line with 13 year olds xP But I do get your point :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2014 at 11:32 PM ----------

I do think karma is a bitch, but I sometimes like to jump in a bit xP

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm only about 4 years out of high school, and some of my classmates have gotten what they have deserved. Sometimes, you are lucky and they learn things once they enter the "real world".