1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans sports

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Logan0001, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, I really want to start testosterone, and I also want to continue playing sports. Are you allowed to participate on a women's sports team while on testosterone in high school?

2. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tough call, mate. If you are going to start on T, you might consider the men's team, especially after a while. If there is anyone in staff/administration at your school who you feel safe talking to, go to them and express your concerns. It's really the kind of thing you will have to do a little research on.

See if your school has any kind of student sport policy book that you can look over before you talk to someone maybe? With any luck, it won't be a problem, and I want to tell you that it will go just fine, but I'd really try to look into it through your school and make sure you will be safe and supported before you push anything.

Stay safe and good luck!

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to start that as well, but I'm pretty sure after taking T, you cannot participate on the women's team anymore because you're basically taking a steroid.

4. Porter

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not very sure, I wouldn't think so. But every school is different so it's worth asking your school! Not sure who you might go to for that, but a guidance teacher should be able to point you to the right direction.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I doubt that you would be at that point, since it could possibly be considered an advantage. I would look into school and state/government policies relating to transgender people and athletic participation.

6. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thinking about this kind of thing makes me very happy that quidditch exists. If y'all don't know, quidditch is a sport that's been adapted from the magical game in the Harry Potter books to a real sport, played by about 500 teams worldwide (mainly uni/college teams). Anyway, the point is that it's a co-ed sport, and specifically very accepting of trans* players. There's a rule that dictates you must have a mix of genders on the pitch at all time, and a player's gender is dictated by their identity and nothing else. There's no hoops to jump through; if you identify as one gender you are instantly counted as that, regardless of your biological sex. It also explicitly allows for non-binary identities. I've been playing for a few years and been a part of an incredibly accepting community - I have countless trans and non-binary friends who are never excluded or misgendered. I love playing sports, and it's a massive relief for me to know that if I came out, though I would have to leave my football team, there's a massive community of people who will accept me, and I would be able to compete as a female athlete with no questions asked.

I didn't mean to derail the thread, I just think it's something that trans* people who want to play sports should know about and check out, because it's so accepting and wonderful.

7. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thinking about this kind of thing makes me very happy that quidditch exists. If y'all don't know, quidditch is a sport that's been adapted from the magical game in the Harry Potter books to a real sport, played by about 500 teams worldwide (mainly uni/college teams). Anyway, the point is that it's a co-ed sport, and specifically very accepting of trans* players. There's a rule that dictates you must have a mix of genders on the pitch at all time, and a player's gender is dictated by their identity and nothing else. There's no hoops to jump through; if you identify as one gender you are instantly counted as that, regardless of your biological sex. It also explicitly allows for non-binary identities. I've been playing for a few years and been a part of an incredibly accepting community - I have countless trans and non-binary friends who are never excluded or misgendered. I love playing sports, and it's a massive relief for me to know that if I came out, though I would have to leave my football team, there's a massive community of people who will accept me, and I would be able to compete as a female athlete with no questions asked.

I didn't mean to derail the thread, I just think it's something that trans* people who want to play sports should know about and check out, because it's so accepting and wonderful.

8. suninthesky

If you have the opportunity to start T, why not look at the men's team? I'mon the women's at college and because of that cannot start until I graduate.

9. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything I've ever heard of, biological females can play on the male team, but biological males would need to be on some type of hormone therapy (how much, and what type may vary by the level of the sport) to reduce the natural levels of testosterone before they could play on a female team without changing the team's status. Biological females taking testosterone as part of HRT would generally need special approval before sports, as it is technically an anabolic steroid which is generally prohibited.

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You probably won't be allowed on to play on the women's team once you've started hormonal therapy. You would most likely be switched over to the men's team.