1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dray7, Dec 14, 2014.

1. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really need a binder. It takes daily bargaining to make sure I don't use ace bandages (my chest is starting to hurt from using them) and my dysphoria's only getting worse. However, I'm really not ready to come out to my parents. It's not that they're transphobic, it would just take a lot of adjustment, and I'm sure my whole family would know within a few days. I don't think I can handle that with my current mental state. Anyway, there's no way for me to purchase a binder myself without my parent's help.

Is it too much to give my money to the president of my GSA and ask her if she could order me a binder using her credit card and give it to me at a future meeting? I would make sure she kept the change, meaning she'd get a little more than $10 for herself...but I still feel childish for asking. Do you think it's selfish or too much to ask? Do you think it's the best course of action? I'm going to have to ask tomorrow if I do it, and I've been anxious thinking about it all night.

2. PossumJack

I would definitely suggest against using ace bandages, they're really bad for your ribs/lungs/chest and can create a lot of problems in the long run.

If you want to find a better way to bind and not tell your parents, convince them to buy you sports bras. I'm also still in the closet about my dysphoria and am currently using two sports bras — one on the "right way", one reversed and shifted a bit upwards— to bind and it works pretty well, though I don't know how well it would work for larger chest sizes as mine is fortunately small.

It really depends on how much you trust your GSA president, I suppose. If you think she'd understand and if you're comfortable enough with her to ask, then I'd say to go for it. This isn't a childish thing to ask for at all! From my experience GSA members are usually very understanding and willing to help.

3. Porter

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that's perfectly fine! I don't know your GSA president but I'm sure she'd be more than thrilled to help you on your transition journey! After all, that's what the GSA's for, helping one another out :slight_smile:

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could buy one of those gift cards that you could use anywhere, and order a binder using that. I have a friend that uses them for online purchases as she doesn't have a credit or debit card.

Unless you're concerned about having it delivered to your house.

In which case, if you feel like you can trust your GSA president, go ahead and ask! I'd have the one you want picked out and priced, and don't forget about shipping costs. :slight_smile: