1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some transitioning questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Clancularius, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

So I've been curious about a few things about transitioning

-how do you chose your new name
    -what are the Virginia laws about transitioning(I couldn't find them)
    -what are all the surgeries I may get
    -what's it like recovering from SRS

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going the opposite direction that you are, but I can answer some of these questions.

To choose my name, I went to some baby name sites and typed in my year of birth and looked at the names that were somewhat common during that time. I didn't want a name that stuck out like a sore thumb compared to others. I then narrowed it down to Brad or Josh. I eventually decided on Bradley, because my family was going to name me Bradley if I was born as a male.

I'm unsure about the Virginia laws relating to transition. I did find this though, so hopefully this can help you some :slight_smile:

I don't know anything about the surgeries for transgender women, so I will leave that to members that have more knowledge :slight_smile:

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For names, you might have a look here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/154668-opinions-name-choice.html#2

Some people change their whole name including surname.

Some surgeries are FFS face feminization surgery and srs, sex reassignment surgery...
    many people do not need ffs... and its up to each individual if they want srs...
    recovering from srs takes some time... a few weeks... but you're under anaesthetics...
    and science makes progress all the time...

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

you might think about names that have some particular meaning to you. perhaps look at people who have been heroes in the LGBT fight for equality. or that have some important meaning for you. having a common name that nobody will notice does have its advantages because it helps to just be accepted. but even within that criteria, you might be able to find a name that will always have a special meaning for you. that is often what parents do when they pick a name for a child. Like all the Nelsons and Winnies when South Africa became free!

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My name (Maxis) actually has no significant meaning to it; I came up with it on a passing thought when I was falling asleep and it was just phonetics that sounded nice in my head and I thought "That could be my name." Generally I go by Max around friends, which works out to lessen how unique the name sounds.

It's that kind of thing that's individual to every trans* person. There's no 1 single process to choosing your new name, it's very much your decision.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    * That's up to you. Some people go with a masculine/feminine version of their birth name, some people get help from their parents and friends, some go through baby books and websites and some turn to inspiration. It all depends on what you want to do. My name comes from two people who inspired me in some way. I almost went with Joshua, which is what my parents would have named me if I was born male.

* Regarding the state of Virgina, here's a website that might be helpful. Transgender In Virginia | Equality Virginia

I was never good at reading maps, but I think Virgina might have some protection laws, and does require SRS to get changes on one's birth certificate. If you have a PFLAG or trans support group in your area, they could be helpful. If you plan on seeing a gender therapist, they could be resourceful too.

* I'm not completely up to speed with all the proceedures for MTFs, but Wikipedia might be helpful.

Sex reassignment surgery (male-to-female) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* I'm not at that point down the path, but I've heard it's pretty rough.

7. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I'm having difficulty finding how old I would have to be to transition

8. DoriaN

Any age, but you have to wait until you are 18 for SRS.

9. antibinary

When I change my name I'm going to be to a gender nuetral name that sounds like my current name, haven't figured out a middle name.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It varies from place to place. Surgery wise, you typically need to be over the age of 18. HOWEVER, there are surgeons who will work with you if you're under 18. I don't have a list of them off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will mention names.

As far as hormone therapy goes, I've heard of people starting HRT as young as 14-15, but it again is a case by case basis. Hormone blockers might be an option, but I'm not sure if you're too old for them at this moment in time; since they're usually given to much younger trans kids.

11. JustJJx

I chose Blythe because its unisex and just fits, find something that fits just right, ya know? :slight_smile: *huggles*

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm just going to go with Krissy. The girl's name my parents would have given me had I been born with the right parts just doesn't seem to fit. Sure, Krissy is a variant of my given name. I don't care. It may even simplify paperwork because I can get away with no legal name change. Though it's not most common, it's not exactly unheard of for a female to have my given name, especially for those just a couple years younger than me. In the decade I was born in, my given name was #2 on the list for boys, and #549 for girls. As for as I understand, there was an actress that became popular on some soap opera that had that name for her first name a year or two after I was born.