1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Your New Name Before It's Legally Changed?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NorthwardBound, Dec 16, 2014.

1. NorthwardBound

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all!

I poked through several pages of the forums and tried to search so I apologize if I've done so (badly) and missed the answer to this question. It's probably my most burning question as of late and no one I've talked to IRL has really been able to give me a solid answer.

I haven't changed my name legally and it will probably be awhile before I could make that happen. However, I have been taking steps with those I am out to to have them refer to me by my new name/pronouns. This is still extremely new to me as I don't necessarily handle anxiety well and even though I'm very happy when it happens I still struggle with correcting friends (it's no big; it's a process for us all and those who know are being very cool about it). I like to practice with people I don't know which some people might consider scary, I realize, but I feel like the circles I'm in at this time are safe enough places that I can experiment a little. Even if it's not a matter of pronouns I have at least tried to introduce myself to strangers with my new name.

That being said, does anyone know my limitations on using my new name? Obviously any forms that would go into a system legally have to have my legal name on it (at the doctor's office or my official forms at school, etc.) but what about in other systems that don't tie into my social security number? Like if I wanted to sign up for a non-credit card rewards card at a store (think Kohl's or CVS) or anything else within that vein? Websites that don't require my billing information might be another example? Or at school within my classes? I've wondered about that the most. A lot of teachers will say on the first day "if you have a name you prefer to go by, just tell me and I'll make a note of it". I even have my preferred name on my official school account as a "nickname" but it unfortunately doesn't appear on the roll they give to the teachers but at least it's officially on the record somewhere.

When I asked the counselor I've been seeing about it she suggested I use my preferred name and put my legal name in parentheses beside it. It's only my first name I'm talking about, by the way, so in all cases my legal last name would be present at all times. Would this be allowed? I've never even used a nickname so I always wondered how people who are adamant about using a different name approached things in school.

I suppose this also ties in a little with the question of how do I introduce the concept of people using my preferred pronouns in public but I'm willing to wait on trying to tackle that until I figure out the rest. :slight_smile:

2. Just Jess

A lot of states require you to start using it before it is legally changed, so don't feel bad. It is kind of a weird grey area, because you have to use your old name any time you use an ID. But as long as you are open to the right people, your name is not too difficult a thing to get on some legal records. I came out to my landlord, and notified the post office, so most of my mail comes in my new name. I got a new email account and started forwarding form my old one to there. That was the big change that made everything else fall in to place, since I send mail as my new name, and so much these days is tied to your email. The only thing outside of ids themselves that I have to wait on really is bank and credit cards.

My state requires both a federal and state background investigation. I filed my federal one fo re ver ago. It might be a good idea to see if yours has the same requirements. If it does you really should take care of that whenever you can. They recommend getting extra fingerprint sets and waiting till you get the federal one done to do the state one, since both have to be within 60 days and the state one is way faster.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

My mother uses a different name to her legal one, and she has for years.

She just puts her real name on legal things/paperwork/forms etc.

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For most things, you can use whatever name you want. In the past, I've even seen recommendations to use variants of your name for privacy reasons, or to help discover what company didn't follow the privacy agreements. Usually the recommendation was a different spelling or middle initial. On a technical standpoint, one doesn't truly NEED a legal name change, but it often makes the process much much easier for getting things like a driver's license, Social Security Number/card, bank account... updated.

5. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it's not under the government, you can use your new name. That's it. This is valid for internet sites, non-governmental agencies, you yearbook at school and how people refer to you (including people from the government). You have to have your legal name on official documents, but that doesn't mean the government officials are obligated to refer you by it.

Take that from someone who struggled to have his name accepted at school and who finally legally changed his name.

Edit: Also, be cautious, some people will try to invalidate what I just said as untrue, but I assure you that it is. I've been through that and I've been lied to by people who should have protected me.

#5 RainbowGreen, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. Even if I've got someone at my counter who has to show me their ID for something official, and their ID says "Joseph Smith", but they want me to call them Shannon, I would. Also, I'm a volunteer examineer for amateur radio licenses. One of our other examiners official name is David, but everyone calls him Rod. Was confusing the first time I saw him on the sign in sheet for an exam session...

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, you can use your new name anywhere where it is not official. Even in those places though, I would check because sometimes they have systems for nicknames that they can use for your new name. At my workplace, they used this system before I had my name legally changed. So, my nametag and my schedule both said Brad, but in the official systems I was still my legal name.

8. QuiteAlright

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, this thread is exactly something that I've been wondering about. Thanks, y'all. :slight_smile:

9. NorthwardBound

Out Status:
    A few people
    This is all good to know! Mostly I've been super confused over it because I'm sure those of you living in the States remember when all the DMVs changed over to where they wanted even more specific proof of identity/residency than ever before so I didn't know if more laws had gone into effect in other places as far as this kind of thing. I'm always one to err on the side of caution where the government is concerned if you couldn't tell haha. That being said I think I will definitely be submitting my paper this week with my legal name in parentheses like it was suggested (just to avoid initial confusion) and if the teacher has an issue with it he can bring it up with me personally. It's just good to feel more confident about that going into it and what my options are. :3

I asked someone at my school about that and it might have been that she wasn't entirely knowledgeable. I may have to take a walk up to student services to see if they have anything else to say. Otherwise I can't imagine why that column would exist in their systems at all. I am hoping so as there is no more miserable sound than me having to answer to my old name being called out lol.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I still have yet to legally change my name but other than government or financial business, I use my preferred name on everything.

In fact, I work from home as a freelance writer. And if you're a PayPal user, like me, you can actually opt to use a business name which will be the name displayed in all transactions. This way, while I had to sign up with my legal name, it allowed me to feel a little more at ease using PayPal as one of my main payment methods.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've used my prefer name at work, and didn't have a problem with my birth name since we were all paid under the table, same goes for therapy since I worked with a sliding scale. Sadly, everything else is under my current legal name.